Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change sin for new 2021 if I had temporary sin before ?

Got a permanent sin number however I filed 2018,2019 and 2020 using that temporary sin number, how can I when filling 2021 input new permanent sin number.

CRA already imported previous temporary SIN number to new permanent one, my question is how to import information from previous years while also updating the SIN number in turbotax ?

2 Replies

For the next new return of 2021, you need to use the new SIN number to claim your tax return.

Please follow the instruction to change your SIN number:

1. Click on the heading Getting Started

2. Click on Personal information

3. On the Social Insurance Number Box, enter your new SIN number.

The new SIN will be linked to the temporary number by CRA. Therefore, you do not need to import your information from previous years.

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter

Thank you for using TurboTax.

First, follow the instructions on our TurboTax FAQ: In TurboTax Online, how do I transfer my information (personal details, carry forward amounts, etc.)...

If you used TurboTax Online last year:

1. Visit the TurboTax website.
  2. Enter your credentials (the same as you used last year) and select Sign In.
  3. On the Great to see you again! screen, select Start a new return from the menuthen choose your preferred TurboTax Online product, and select Continue.
  4. On the How did you do your taxes last year? screen, select TurboTax Online, then Continue.
  5. On the Hello again! We're so glad you're back screen, select Yes, then Continue.
  6. Follow the on-screen instructions to proceed through the file transfer process.

Then, follow the instructions on how to change the SIN number in TurboTax:

If you are using the online version of the software, you simply go back to the side bar on the left (black section) - click on "My Info" then go down to "Your name Personal Info", you will be able to change your SIN number there.

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.