Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to upload 2021 online return data to the 2022 cd version.

This is a huge gap in your functionality. We've been using your CD/Download version all these years, but in 2021, my wife accidentally bought the online version. So we filled out our taxes there. Now for 2022 we're back to the CD/Download version, and we're dismayed to find that we can't transfer our 2021 information. 😐

While searching, I found a page on Intuit that claims that you can use a PDF to upload information. I always save a PDF. But I couldn't find any way to get this to work. 

Shelleyo

I want to be able to load the information from my turbo tax online version from last year.  And to be able to compare earnings between years.  I used the online version for the first time last year, previously used the CD version, however I also do my disabled sister's taxes and the online version charges for each tax return which is why I don't use the online now.  It seems that there must be a way to transfer the information from the previous online version. Please help!

@centauri27 TurboTax CD/Download cannot import PDF files. Intuit makes products for other countries and also for accounting professionals, and those products may have features that are not available in the Canadian versions of TurboTax.

@Shelleyo Unfortunately, there is no way to import or open a TurboTax Online file in TurboTax CD/Download.

i totally agree with you.   i did the same thing by mistakenly buying turbo tax 2021 on line version.  what poor service in that you have no access to the working files.

it is not scaleable to move between the CD version of other years.  i am using turbotax 2022 CD version.  never will use on line ever.

i want to access my turbo tax 2021 files (on line) from my turbo tax 2022 CD program.

that is too bad.  i hope Turbo Tax is listening to customers.  have on line version able to save to a .tt file

Hi,

Is there a reason why there is now way to transfer the online return data to the 2022 download version?  It looks like this has already been an issue since last year based on what I read from the posts of other turbotax users.  I have the same issue right now as I was using online by mistake for 2020 and 2021.  I have been using download  version since 2007 until 2019.  Now , for 2022 tax season, I bought the download and all of a sudden I can't transfer my 2021 online return files into download version.  This is not good and turbotax staff should fix this flaw.

Exactly! What a design flaw to have the two versions not able to communicate with each other. 😑 Same with with going to online from download: can't carry over information either. This is exacerbated by the fact that the packing for online vs CD/download look soooo similar, and when stacked side-by-side at Costco, it's easy to grab the wrong one by mistake.

I also noticed that the online version caps you at 8 returns period. I thought that was a permanent change, so I had to move several returns done for relatives out to their free online version, to stay within 8. Now for 2022 I bought the CD/download version again and lo and behold....it's STILL AT 20 returns maximum! That means I didn't have to airlift several returns to online. I could have stayed within the 20 limit had I got the CD/download version. Now more headache for me next year as I move them all back.

This is a really mixed up policy of Intuit. Did they really intend to cheapen out by limiting the online version to 8 returns max?

Thank you for your feedback, we value your opinion and have shared this information with the proper TurboTax team.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

user1968

I hope this feature is added soon, I think this would add great value and give customers piece of mind knowing they are not locked into one application method.  I am confused as to why this feature is not available .