Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
morestes2
Returning Member

How can I claim the maximun allowable chilcare deduction for a disable child ($11,000) IF I do not claim the disability tax credit? Turbotax only allows $5,000 deduction

I'm not claiming the Disability Tax Credit (my ex-wife does), but I do claim all the childcare expenses, however, turbotax does not allow me to claim the maximun deduction ($11,000), but just $5,000
10 Replies

How can I claim the maximun allowable chilcare deduction for a disable child ($11,000) IF I do not claim the disability tax credit? Turbotax only allows $5,000 deduction

Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

morestes2
Returning Member

I'm using Turbotax Online. Despite I have identified that my son qualifies for the DTC in the "dependant information", when I go to Child care expenses, only $5,000 can be deducted, instead of $11,000. 

Thanks 

What year was the child born?

morestes2
Returning Member

It does not matter the age of the child when he/she is infirm. Maximun deduction for childcare is $11,000. Turbo tax online does not allow maximun deduction unless the DTC is claimed. 

The problems persists 

For more information please see our TurboTax article: Claiming Child Care Expenses In Canada. Please see this Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) link Who is eligible. There may be a link between your ex spouse claiming the DTC and not you. Please contact the CRA at 1-800-959-8281 to clarify why you cannot claim the maximum childcare.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

morestes2
Returning Member

Hi -

I've contacted CRA and they have confirmed that maximun deduction for childcare is $11,000, regardless of who claims the DTC. There is zero doubt about it. TurboTax does not correctly calculate the proper deduction for this situation. There is a glitch. Any chance this situation can be corrected soon? 

morestes2
Returning Member

I encourage a Turbo Tax Representative to reach out so I can explain the problem of the software. 

If I want to claim what I'm entitle too, CRA has recommended to use a different option or do it manually.

Glad to help TurboTax to resolve this issue.

Thankjs 

If you would like to contact our phone support team, you can call them at 1-888-829-8608.

morestes2
Returning Member

I do not need to contact the support team. I was simply offering my help to make TurboTax to understand the issue so the glitch can be fixed. 

As of today, I can't this software to prepare my tax return due to the issue with the Childcare Expenses max deduction. 

If anyone at Turbo Tax wants to know a bit more about this, let me know and I'll share my conact details