Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can an Ontario resident file a Quebec return for 2020?

My aunt received a benefit from Quebec in January 2020 after moving to Ontario in December 2019.

I filed her federal return with Ontario as her province of residence.

Revenu Quebec now requires me to file a Quebec TP1 return for her, so she can refund the benefit that she should not have received.

The TurboTax app will not let me open Quebec forms.

How can I file her Quebec return?

4 Replies

Unfortunately, we need clarification and more information to help you. Therefore, please contact our phone support team through our contact us form. Once you fill in the information requested, the correct telephone number to use will be generated.

Thank you for using TurboTax.

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.

Thanks for responding. A few days after posting my question, I gave up and filed a Quebec return on paper. I had to find the right location in the Quebec government website, download the (non-editable) form, print it, fill it in by hand, scan a copy for myself, and mail the original to the Quebec revenue department, along with a cheque (!) for the amount due.

The root problem is an unnecessary restriction in the software design: unless one fills in "Quebec" as the province of residence, it is impossible to access the Quebec forms (e.g. TP1).

Most residents of other provinces do not need the Quebec forms, but there is no reason to make them totally unavailable. There are real cases, such as mine, which require Quebec forms, even though I live in another province.

I hope the developers can remove this counterproductive restriction in a future version of the software; even if it only provides the ability to fill in and print the Quebec forms, that would be a huge improvement.

Paul1995
Returning Member

I'm in the same situation. Moved to ON from QC , but there's nowhere to add the information from Releve 1 if I choose ON as province of residence. The only place I could add the tax deduction information for my salaries in QC was in the T4 section, where I checked the option "Quebec tax deducted from your Releve 1 slip (Quebec non-resident only)", and then entered the correct amount. THIS DOES NOT SEEM TO BE WORKING: all it did was to inflate my federal tax deduction and therefore my tax return. It didn't submit anything to Revenu Quebec, and the CRA asked me to pay back what I rightfully owed them. I'd be curious to know what I should have done. There seems to be a gap in Turbotax for people moving from QC to another province.

You will need to go back to your return and click on My Info on the left hand side of the screen then go down to Personal Tax Profile. Once you open it you will then click on the  top "EDIT" beside Income & work related expenses. You will then click on "did you work in 2021? YES- Then check off the following- I was employed- T4 Employment Income- I worked in Quebec and received a Releve 1 Slip. Continue. Now you go to the income Section and follow the steps below. 

This situation occurs when you have taxable benefits from a previous employer (such as a private medical plan) that was provided by your former employer before you retired.

1. On the T4 entry step, enter only the employer’s name, select QC for the province of employment (Box 10), then select Save T4 & Enter Relevé 1. Amounts from your T4 are automatically transferred to your RL-1 for you, since they’re often the same
  2. Complete the rest of your RL-1 with the information from your slip, then select Save and Continue.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.