Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I claim expenses on safety gear that I had to purchase as part of my employment contract?

Hard hat, leather boots, fire resistant pants, etc. I'm not seeing a related box to enter these expenses in the Employment Expenses section.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I claim expenses on safety gear that I had to purchase as part of my employment contract?

In order to claim employment expenses, you must have a form T2200 Declarations of Conditions of Employment completed and signed by your employer. This form outlines the expenses associated with your employment.

If your employer has provided you with a completed T2200 that lists your safety gear as an expense related to your employment, you can enter the total in the Other Expenses section in the employment Expenses section of TurboTax (screenshot attached).

View solution in original post

1 Reply

In order to claim employment expenses, you must have a form T2200 Declarations of Conditions of Employment completed and signed by your employer. This form outlines the expenses associated with your employment.

If your employer has provided you with a completed T2200 that lists your safety gear as an expense related to your employment, you can enter the total in the Other Expenses section in the employment Expenses section of TurboTax (screenshot attached).