Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joe5mps

How to remove any info in self-business or self employed profile. I closed my small business two years ago and something always comes up Like the neq business number

How to remove any info in self business or self employed profile. I closed my small business two years ago and something always comes up Like the NEQ business #
9 Replies

How to remove any info in self-business or self employed profile. I closed my small business two years ago and something always comes up Like the neq business number

You can use the Find icon at the top right and enter self-employment to review and delete/edit anything that may have been transferred from previous years. If you entered prior year information at the beginning of your return like your name, address, etc. it will also carry in any carry-forwards or information like past self-employment information. You may have to start a fresh return without automatically transferring your past information. By doing this, you will be able to start transferring from prior years when you do your return next year without any past self-employment information.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

joe5mps

In the warnings review page the NEQ was displayed and I removed it.

I want to make sure the neq # is gone (erased)

Where can I find the NEQ section to be sure its removed

You would go through the self-employment section which you can go to with the Find icon or from the menu on the left by clicking on Income then Self-employment.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

GregWaterloo
Returning Member

That doesn't work. I got to the end and the review warning says that I have self employment income, which I do not. 

When I follow your instructions of searching for "Self Employment" in the find window, it takes me to the Self Employment Profile page. That page then says that clearing the check boxes does not remove any info about self employement. How do I go see the info about self employment so that I can delete it?

@GregWaterloo If you've entered an amount from any of the boxes on the slips listed here, you have what the CRA considers to be self-employment or business income:

• T4 slip: box 81, 82 or 83
  • T4A slip: box 20 or 48
  • T4A slip: box 28 and you answered Yes to the question Does the income declared in Box 028 consist of fees collected for services you provided? in TurboTax Online
  • T3 slip: box 24 (foreign business income)

Also, Rental income now requires TurboTax Self-Employed Online.

If you had self-employment income last year, and you transferred your return into year, then it will automatically put you into the same version of TurboTax Online that you used last year. So, if you don't need Self-Employed this year, then you 'd need to a completely brand new return.

If you are still not able to resolve this issue, please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608.

GregWaterloo
Returning Member

Thanks for the pointers on the T slips. It turns out it is coming from a T3 slip. 

The reason that it was pointed out is because during the review, I got a warning

You have self-employment income. If you have entered into an agreement with the Canada Employment Insurance Commission through Service Canada in 2023 or earlier, you can pay employment insurance premiums to be eligible for employment insurance benefits.

But, I am not self employeed and I don't have an agreement with Canada Employment Insurance Commission. 

And now, as I was trying to figure out where this self employement income comes from, I inadvertantly created a business profile and I now have an error that I haven't specified the provice of my company. How do  I get rid of the business profile? It is not obvious.

To get to the T2125, use the “Find” tool🔍 to search for “self”. Select “Self-Employment Summary” and then click the “Go” button. Here you can delete any businesses that are listed by clicking the garbage can next to them.

GregWaterloo
Returning Member

Yea, no  that doesn't work. There is no information there. 

I am being flagged as being self employeed because a T3 slip has a value in box 24. I am not self employeed. But TurboTax is forcing me to lie and specify that my business resides in ontario. This was the sanctioned answer from the tech support person I talked to. Seems like a big bug to me. I should never be lying to CRA.

As per CRA, T# Box 24 is Foreign business income and should be included line 13500 - (Net Self Employment income) of your return. So you need to fill out a T2125 self-employment form, which is why TurboTax won't let you delete it.

You can use your own address as your place of self-employment. Where do you do you do your accounting, taxes, storage of financial records, etc? Probably at home, so your home address is a valid location to use as your "place of business".