Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I prepared my 2020 taxes with Turbotax online. This year I purchased Turbotax CD version. How do I transfer data from 2020 online version to 2021 CD version?

4 Replies

I prepared my 2020 taxes with Turbotax online. This year I purchased Turbotax CD version. How do I transfer data from 2020 online version to 2021 CD version?

Unfortunately, you can't transfer TurboTax Online returns into TurboTax CD/Download. TurboTax Online can't create .tt files, which is what TurboTax CD/Download uses.

You can still print or download a PDF copy of your TurboTax Online return. Please see this TurboTax FAQ for instructions: In the online edition of TurboTax, how do I print a copy of my tax return?

This is not communicated to anyone who purchased online versions of the software that you cannot go back to CD versions. I purchased the Premier CD software for up to 12 returns that is now useless to me. I am not happy about this 

Not only can you not transfer over info but it also does not give you access to your return to be able to print out a carry forward page and there is no carry forward page saved in the pdf.  Husband got the online version by accident and we didn't have time to return it as we needed to file right away.  Now I will have to figure out carry forward amounts manually and enter everything manually including self employment carryforwards. Been using your programs for over a decade, one time of the online version and it is awful.  Can't believe you aren't able to have your programs work together.  Since you can pull up all of the carry forward information (only basic information shows on screen) if one were to do another year online, you should be able to create a file/option for export to your cd/download version (if you cared to provide that ability for customers).

Thank you for your feedback- we truly appreciate it. Yes, we can understand the frustration- unfortunately at this time you can only transfer from CD version to Online version  as transferring from Online to CD version is not supported. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.