Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have to input in my taxes that my partner claimed my income? And if so, where?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

Do I have to input in my taxes that my partner claimed my income? And if so, where?

Nothing would have changed.

Every taxpayer can claim a spousal amount for his/her partner less the partner's net income:

So he was able to claim the spousal amount ($12,069) - $10,000 = $2,069 > the higher your net income, the less he can claim.

You will be able to claim $12069 - his net income on your return > if he has a net income higher than $12,069 you will not be able to claim anything

If you file together > the software does the calculation automatically for you.

If you file separate > you will have to manually input the ner income of your partner in your tax return to be able to calculate to the eligible spousal amount. 

I hope this was helpful

View solution in original post

4 Replies

What do you mean? You give your income to your spouse? Or they put your income on their taxes?

Sorry I wasn't very clear. I meant that my common law partner put the amount of income I made in 2019 (which was lower than $10,000) and then because it was so low, he claimed that amount. This was written as "claiming spousal amount" on turbo tax. It was suggested that we do this online as it could maximize our tax returns. I was just curious if I had to complete anything on my end when I do my own taxes that states that he "claimed my spousal amount"?

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

Nothing would have changed.

Every taxpayer can claim a spousal amount for his/her partner less the partner's net income:

So he was able to claim the spousal amount ($12,069) - $10,000 = $2,069 > the higher your net income, the less he can claim.

You will be able to claim $12069 - his net income on your return > if he has a net income higher than $12,069 you will not be able to claim anything

If you file together > the software does the calculation automatically for you.

If you file separate > you will have to manually input the ner income of your partner in your tax return to be able to calculate to the eligible spousal amount. 

I hope this was helpful

It was! Thank you!