Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I use two standard editions to have 16 returns?

I bought a CD version from a store and prepared 8 returns. I then purchased a download version from an online store to get an additional 8 returns.The key for the download version states it already exists when I try to enter it, but will not let me file more returns. When I review the summary it shows only one key with 8 returns. Why wont my new key work? How do I fix this? How does one buy additional returns?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

You can purchase additional returns by following the steps as mentioned in the article - https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/questions/1189885-purchase-additional-returns. Please follow the Desktop section.

I hear you have already purchased another desktop version. You will have to install the product on another machine where you had not installed the earlier purchased TurboTax.

You cannot install two different TurboTax on the same machine with different keys.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Hi,

You can purchase additional returns by following the steps as mentioned in the article - https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/questions/1189885-purchase-additional-returns. Please follow the Desktop section.

I hear you have already purchased another desktop version. You will have to install the product on another machine where you had not installed the earlier purchased TurboTax.

You cannot install two different TurboTax on the same machine with different keys.

Hope this helps!

I do not have another machine in my home. I was not aware I had to purchase a different product (per your link) and have now spent money on the other product. Is there any way to get a credit for the incorrect product that I can use towards purchasing the right product?
Mark46

You can add unlock more returns by entering the new IKC that you received with the package you most recently purchased.
Simply navigate to Help menu at the very top of the screen.   Then select "Purchase more returns"
Then that window opens, the second option listed will be to unlock additional returns that you have already purchased.   By selecting this option it will ask you to enter the new IKC... and you should be good to go!

I have done that already. It tells me the key already exists but then wont let me actually file anymore returns.

That option is not available on the 2020 Standard package.  I have been purchasing 2 packages from Staples on CD for years and just entering the second licence code when required, as I do 13 returns.  This year no option to do this.  I am very upset.  The help line person told me that I have to install the second copy on a different computer.  I don't have another computer.  This is not acceptable.  Looking for a new product  for next year if this is what is happening.

Thank you TaxGeekLF.  I also do the same, purchasing 2 CDs every year to do my family's returns which adds up to 13 returns. I spent a long time on the Help Line and they were not very clear that this is something new - that you must have a second PC.  I wonder why the Turbo Tax would prevent this.  I only have one PC.  Let me know if you have investigated a new product that could allow this for next year.   Perhaps if TurboTax gets enough of these problem calls, they might reconsider.

I ended up borrowing a second computer to continue filing my families tax returns.  I just opened up the program on the first computer to finish off a return which I started there.  It had an update so after I updated I checked the Tools menu and found that they had added "License code switch".   The second help line person that I spoke to last week knew that she had seen this the day before.  She was as surprised as I was when it was not there. 

That is where you can change the license for the second product.  I would guess that you must complete and file all returns from the first license before you run this.  At least now there is an option if you don't have a second computer.  Good luck!

2021again
Returning Member

You shouldn't have to buy a second computer to complete your tax returns, as we have never needed to do that in the past, and there is no indication on the packaging of the software that indicates any change from previous years, including this new restriction.

Thank you!

It did work!!