Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dwchoi1668
Returning Member

How do I access Schedule 8? I need to be able to elect to stop CPP contributions on self-employment earnings on line 372 as I am over 65 and a CPP recipient.

case #'[phone number removed]'

How do I access Schedule 8? I need to be able to elect to stop CPP contributions on self-employment earnings on line 372 as I am over 65 and a CPP recipient.

@dwchoi1668  What is the exact error message that you are getting? Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

arepp88
Returning Member

Hello Sylvia M

You responded to a similar question I submitted to you for Schedule 8 and the election to stop contributing to CPP in the 2022 tax year.  The response you provided does not agree with the instructions within the Turbo Tax 2022 T4A(P) Summary interview questions, AND does not agree with the CRA tax expert I consulted.  And, the Turbo Tax interview questions for the T4A(P), do agree with the CRA expert I consulted, BUT the TT software does not use the responses to the interview questions, to correctly complete the Schedule 8.  AND, the TT software review instructs me to "FIX" the error in the T4A(P), but there is no error to fix.  The error seems to be in how the TT software uses the interview question responses to complete Schedule 8.  Unfortunately, this error affects the whole tax return, which makes it impossible to submit because it is not accurate.  Because my spouse and I file our taxes together, both tax returns are affected by this error.

What is the best course of action to take in a situation such as this one?

Thank you for your time

dwchoi1668
Returning Member

I spent many hours with Turbo Tax support on this issue (stop CPP contribution on self-employment income). I told them there is a bug in the software. They reviewed TA(P) summary and could not fix the error. However, the only advice I got was to submit the paper file instead. ......

arepp88
Returning Member

Interesting.  I am experiencing a very similar response from Turbo Tax Support.

How did you file your tax return?

Thanks.

dwchoi1668
Returning Member

There is a workaround to bypass the error and allow it to netfile the return. I am not sure whether it causes other problems.

- select   CPT30 submitted prior to 2022 and set the dates  (say 01/01/2021) in the interview question in the worksheet.  

mikevan

I am having exactly the same issue.  I am between 65 and 70, I only have self-employment income, and I would like to stop contributing to CPP.  Am I correct in saying that in order to stop CPP contributions, I have to also be receiving CPP benefits?  I am currently deferring the benefit and therefore do not have a T4A(P). 

arepp88
Returning Member

Hello Mike,

As of today, April 20, 2023, this question is still unresolved for me.  You might try asking one of the Community Moderators who works for TurboTax -  "TurboTaxBrenda1"

I think the more TT users who bring this question forward, the better the chances of having it resolved.  

My own goal has been to have the TT software agree with the Canada Revue Agency advice I have received, which can also be found at this link:   https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/cpp/canada-pension-plan-cpp-...

Good luck!

arepp88
Returning Member

According to CRA, you do NOT need to be receiving CPP benefits in order to stop contributing to CPP - CRA, says "It depends..."    See this link: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/cpp/canada-pension-plan-cpp-...

You can enter the information as seen in the image below in the Online software. Please click on Income in the left menu in your return then click on T-Slips. Then click on the T4A(P) Canada Pension Plan Benefits and click on Done With T4A(P) without needing to fill it in and you will come to the screen in the image below. Remember to click on Done With T4A(P) at the bottom of the screen to save the information.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.