Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autofill - T4A and Releve 2 Errors

I live in Quebec and use Turbo Tax Standard 2023.  I try to use the autofill feature to download T-slips from CRA and it works but does not fill in the Quebec Releve 2 correctly.  

I have 3 T4A's and 3 corresponding RL-2's.  When the autofill imports the T4A's it also fills in the RL-2's for Quebec.  However, only one "master total" RL-2 is generated with all the numbers and fields consolodated in 1 slip.  This makes checking the individual RL-2's very difficult. I would like to manually edit the RL-2 entries to add the fields that are unique to these slips (such as Quebec income tax deducted at source) but Turbo tax  gives override warnings.  I have also tried adding the missing RL2's but that also generates warnings and errors.  This has been happening for several years and wastes a lot of time.   I tried downloading the Releves from Revenu Quebec but that results in duplication and other errors. 

Has anyone else experienced this problem?  Is there any solution other than just not using Autofill?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Unfortunately, the only way to insure that you have the right information on all the right slips is to forego using Autofill. It is not necessarily a tax software problem. Once imported, you cannot correct the slips. Slips should be entered exactly as they are whether imported or entered manually, otherwise as you have experienced you will have difficulties filing or after assessments.

I suggest you start a new return and not Autofill. 

If you would like to share your screen to identify the problem where it might be escalated to an investigation, please call our customer service at 1-888-829-8608.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Unfortunately, the only way to insure that you have the right information on all the right slips is to forego using Autofill. It is not necessarily a tax software problem. Once imported, you cannot correct the slips. Slips should be entered exactly as they are whether imported or entered manually, otherwise as you have experienced you will have difficulties filing or after assessments.

I suggest you start a new return and not Autofill. 

If you would like to share your screen to identify the problem where it might be escalated to an investigation, please call our customer service at 1-888-829-8608.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax

Thanks for your realistic and pragmatic answer.   I did start all over and did not use autofill and manually entered the data correctly.   In another case I downloaded all the T slips but deleted all those that do not autofill the forms correctly. I used autofill for T3 and T5 only which seems to work correctly.

At some time in the future I may escalate the problem, raise a ticket and submit screenshots but I do not have time for this right now. 

Thank you for the update and feedback it is appreciated.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

MaryR18

I too, have encountered this problem ever since autofill was introduced.  Hence, I did not use this feature for several years.  Last year I decided to try again and only downloaded the Federal forms.  I was then able to add each Relevé to the appropriate T4.  This year I did the same but ended up with 3 T4s (out of 5) that all linked to the same Rel2.  It took me a long time to figure out where the problem was.

I disagree with 2 of your observations.  

1-Although it is true that you cannot change the values through "Forms" it IS possible to change the values on the forms once they have been loaded if you go to the Income entry in Easy Step.  .  Unfortunately, when I modified the Relevé values to match  T4 (#1), for example, when I looked at  T4(#2), it was then showing the values from T4(#1).  So I would correct that one, thereby erasing the data for T4(#1), etc,  It took a while for me to realize there was only 1 Rel linked to multiple T4s.  Especially, since I had 2 other T4s that were 1:1.  My solution was to delete the Relevé entirely and add them back to each of the T4s individually.  That resolved the problem.

2-since the relationship between the T4s and Relevés is 1:1, I would definitely consider this a software issue.  If the system can match some of them, then it should be able to match all of them.  At the very least, there should never be a Relevé that is a combination of multiple records,  That makes verification and tracking incredibly difficult and time consuming for the user

Thank you for your input and explanations.  I may take you up on escalating this issue with the phone number you have provided.  Another pet peeve has been that I could never find a phone number, email or online way of contacting the company to provide feedback.  I am glad that I have now found this community

Hello MaryR18 

Thanks for your comments.  Your experience with this problem is very much like mine. Your work around by deleting the corrupted Releve 1's and re-entering each of them manually is interesting will probably work for me also. I will try it next time but it would be nice if Turbo Tax would look into this problem because it should be fairly easy to reproduce and must affect many Quebec customers who try to use autofill.  If I have time to spare some day I may try the phone number that we have been given. 

Best Regards