Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Climate Action Incentive Warning

I'm getting a warning saying "you must confirm if you lived outside of a Census Metropolitan Area."

However in the Climate Action Incentive section of Turbo Tax it only asks you to confirm if you live outside of certain metropolitan areas. As we're in one of those areas we're left the checkbox blank.

I'm assuming this is the correct way to to this and to ignore the warning but would love to know for sure.

If that's the case surely having yes or no menu options or yes or no check boxes would have been a far superior solution then having a warning an me having to guess I'm supposed to leave it blank and "ignore" a warning. 

Any feedback welcome as it's the only thing holding me off submitting.

4 Replies

In TurboTax CD/Download EasyStep mode, you can get back to the Climate Action Incentive page by using the “Find” tool 🔍 to search for “climate”. Select “Climate Action Incentive” and then click the “Go” button.

On the Climate Action Incentive page, if you lived outside the listed census metropolitan areas, then check the box. 

Save your return and try to file again. If you are still not able to resolve this issue, please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608.

salbom12

Yes, it looks like a glitch they have not fixed.

There is not an option to say no, however if you go to the actual worksheet you will see that if you do not click the box the amount is correct if you live in a metro area.

Is is also annoying that this comes up as an warning when you review it as well as when you want to netfile.  I hope they can address this problem.

Agreed,

A very annoying oversight on TurboTax part. The whole point of the software is to simplify it not to have me second guessing things with a specific warning I can't get rid of. 

Thank you for your feedback, we value your opinion and will share this information with the proper TurboTax team.

If it is a Warning and not an Error, then it can be ignored and skipped. The Warning alert does not automatically mean something was done or entered incorrectly. It can be triggered if a high amount of certain credits or deductions are being claimed. Click on Review to verify that the right amount has been entered by clicking on "Applies to me". Once reviewed you can click "Done with warnings" and return to your review. 

Warnings are there just to ensure that if the situation applies to you, you can go back and make any necessary modifications.
Errors, on the other hand, will prevent you from filing because something in your return is incorrect and the return will not be accepted by the Canada Revenue Agency.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.