Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tanya8606

Climate Action Inventive is not applied on my tax refund, why?

3 Replies

Thanks for your question. First, verify whether you are eligible for Climate Action Incentive (CAI) or not. Although CAI is not available to all provinces, you will be able to claim the CAI if you live in Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario or Alberta, as of 2018 and onward. In order to receive the Climate Action Incentive tax credit, you have to file your personal income tax return.

Non-residents of Canada or Canadians who were incarcerated at any point in the year are not entitled to the credit. Please click here for more information.

Please click here to learn how you can enter CAI in your TurboTax software. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax. If you are using TurboTax, the system will automatically apply for the Climate Action Incentive credit once you enter your province of residence.

Please note that not all provinces are eligible for this credit. You can claim the amount if on December 31st, 2020, you are a resident of Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, and if you are 18years of age or older or if younger than 18, as long as you had a spouse or a common-law partner or were a parent who lived with their child. Please refer to the link below.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re... 

If you meet the eligibility criteria and still do not see the Climate Action Incentive, under your tax return on TurboTax, click on Provincial, click on the provincial tax credit profile and make sure there is a checkmark on Climate Action Incentive.

We appreciate you choosing TurboTax.

Once you enter your province of residence in TurboTax, the system will automatically apply for the Climate Action Incentive credit.

Some provinces are not eligible for this credit. To qualify, you must reside in one of the following provinces on December 31st, 2020: Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, or if you are younger than 18 years old, you must have a spouse common-law partner, or a parent living with their child.

Please visit the link for more information for overview, eligibility, how much you can expect and how to claim

Make sure your tax return on TurboTax has a checkmark next to Climate Action Incentive if you meet the eligibility requirements and are still not seeing the Climate Action Incentive.

Please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter if you require further assistance.