Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit for purchase of TurboTax Deluxe Online Edition

A month ago, I purchased TurboTax Deluxe Online Edition from Staples Canada. After completing my tax return, the online software has requested that I purchase a license for TurboTax Online Premier as my tax return included some investment slips (e.g. T5008, T4A, T3, T5) and rental income/costs. Is there any way I can get a credit (spent $37.99 plus PST/GST) for the original purchase toward the new cost I will now have to bear? Also, I am filing a joint tax return for me and my spouse. Will I have to pay for (2) tax returns as well? Please advise. Thanks...

3 Replies

If you entered your Deluxe activation code before starting your return, then you will only have to pay the difference between Premier and Deluxe.

If you are preparing your return together with your spouse/partner, then you are both using the same version of the software and will both be charged the same price. 

Thanks for the reply. I DID enter the activation code for TurboTax Deluxe prior to starting my return (see attachment), but DID NOT receive a credit for the purchase against what we owe for our two (2) tax returns (see attachment). In my calculations, we should only have to pay approx. $35.83 (difference between 2 x $34.99 + tax less the original purchase of $37.99 + tax. Please look into this and ensure we are issued a credit of  $42.55 ASAP. The fact that everything is now in the TurboTax cloud is not ideal. I have many years of my tax records on a separate external hard drive and now, in case of audit, the records will not be in one place. Not to mention having to pay twice now versus what was not the case in the past. ScreenHunter_327 Apr. 22 08.51.jpgTurboTaxReceipt_2023.jpg

Unfortunately, a file cannot be found attached to this ID. In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance please call     

1-888-829-8608.

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.