Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data privacy when using NETFILE

Hi,

I'm using the desktop version of TurboTax for tax year 2022 (TurboTax Premier).

If I file my taxes for the Federal level (CRA) and Quebec level (Revenu Québec) using NETFILE, is my financial and personal information being shared with Intuit's servers in any way? I mean information beyond that already shared when registering the product (my name, email, phone number), that is: is it sending my SIN or any amounts to Intuit?

I'd like to confirm that the information is communicated directly to the CRA and Revenu Québec without going through Intuit's servers, or any other partner/subsidiary/etc. (or being copied there for whatever other reason).

Thank you!

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you use TurboTax CD/Download, we don't save your data, other than what you provide when you buy the software through us, or when you register software bought from a 3rd party. Even if you send us your file using the "Save For Care" option, or do a screen share with a phone agent, personally identifying details like your SIN number are removed/blurred so we can't see them.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Your stored data gets encrypted We safeguard your information by encrypting it when it’s stored in our systems. This means we translate your information into a code that only we can read to make sure only you and Intuit have access to your information. The type of encryption we use is called AES-256 (Advanced Encryption Standard with 256-bit keys) and it ensures the highest level of cryptographic security.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Thank you for your answer. While it's comforting to know that the data is encrypted in storage when on Intuit's servers, it does not directly address my question I think.

Since I'm using the desktop version of TurboTax, the data is for now stored locally on my computer, not Intuit's servers. My question was whether or not by using the NETFILE functionality in TurboTax Premier, the tax files get sent directly to CRA and Revenu Québec servers without it having to go through Intuit's servers (or partners) at all. I'm assuming that under the hood the data is exported as XML files (or similar) which get transferred.

If I interpret, maybe what's implied by your answer is that it does go through Intuit's servers, though, even for the desktop software. (Obviously for the online version, the data is on Intuit's servers)

For context, I prefer having my data in as few places and shared as little as possible. Think of the leak at Desjardins in 2019 for example. This is why I bought the desktop version.

If you use TurboTax CD/Download, we don't save your data, other than what you provide when you buy the software through us, or when you register software bought from a 3rd party. Even if you send us your file using the "Save For Care" option, or do a screen share with a phone agent, personally identifying details like your SIN number are removed/blurred so we can't see them.

Perfect, in the end that's what I wanted to know!

It's also good to learn about the added privacy when using the screen sharing or help features.

Thank you both for your answers.