Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ssll
Level 2

do i also claim disability for self when i have a t2201 for my child?

3 Replies

If your child is the one with the Disability Tax credit on file with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and you are on file as eligible to receive a transfer of the unused amount then you will enter the transfer on your return. Please see our TurboTax FAQ: How do I claim the Disability Tax Credit transferred from my dependant? 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

ssll
Level 2

Yes, i am approved to claim for my child  and i have done all the steps in turbo tax, but it keeps putting it to the higher income spouse which my husband is not approved for it, only i am. turbo tax didn't do this last year, it has to be claimed from the person approved with it. how do i go around this?

also, there is a spot to click yes/no for disability for self, see below, do i also click yes on this section if i've entered everything dtc for my child in the previous fields you listed above?

Disability Amount (tab)

If you had a severe mental or physical impairment in 2023, you may be able to claim the disability amount.

Does (Spouse 1) qualify for the claim and have an approved T2201 (Disability Tax Credit Certificate) on file with the CRA?

Does (Spouse 2)qualify for the claim and have an approved T2201 (Disability Tax Credit Certificate) on file with the CRA?

You will only click yes if you have your own personal Disability Tax Credit (DTC) on file for you with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). If the DTC on file is only for your child, you will enter No.

If help is still required, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. When asked if you wish to receive an email say NO then say "speak to a representative" then hold the line.

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.