Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rebeccabrown1990
Returning Member

Error 960576 even after double checking the boxes suggested

32 Replies

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Error 960576 is:

There are entries on lines 60575 and/or 60576 on the Form BC479 for the British Columbia renter’s tax credits and one of the following situations applies to your client’s return:

1. The following information is required, if applicable:
    1. The net income of your client’s spouse or common-law partner. Where this amount is zero or negative, enter “1” on line 9918.
    2. The universal child care benefit (UCCB) reported by the spouse or common-law partner, or the UCCB repayment reported on line 21300 on the spouse’s or common-law partner’s return.
    3. The registered disability savings plan (RDSP) income reported by the spouse or common-law partner, or the RDSP repayment reported on line 55360 on the spouse’s or common-law partner’s return.
  2. There is an entry on line 60576. There must be an entry on line 60575.
  3. Line 60575 must not be less than “6.”
  4. Line 60576 cannot exceed the maximum allowable of $400.
  5. You have indicated this is a pre-bankruptcy return. Delete the entries as this tax credit is not allowed on a pre-bankruptcy return.
  6. You have indicated that your client is deceased. Delete the entries as this tax credit is not allowed on a subsection 70(1) return.

If you still need help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. 

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

ApplesID

I have the same issue except the last 2 numbers. Client spouse's income is zero, so I followed the instruction to add "1". And I entered the same to the other lines as spouse didn't work at all and no UCCB amount to enter. This didn't work.

On the part of renters tax benefit, I deleted the second line as the client had 2 renters address within the year.  First address was rented for 9 mos and second was rented for 3 mos (current address). Since it says nothing should be below 6 mos, I assumed that the second address was unnecessary. Still didn't work. 

All of these were done with TurboTax customer service representative and still found no solution. Now, I was told to wait for a call as she will place this under investigation. 

Thank you for letting us know. You say the last two numbers. Do you mean the error number is different? Could you let us know exactly which error number you received? Happy you have a callback set up, they will be able to help you as they can view your screen.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

ApplesID

It's the same error number except that numbers 5 and 6 were not on my list 

Feel free to return to update us after your callback.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

ApplesID

Looks like I'm not going to get a callback anymore. I just received an email that my case is now closed 😳. Not very happy with it. 

Have you tried deleting the rent credit info entirely and then reentering it?

rebeccabrown1990
Returning Member

We tried 4 different times to troubleshoot, and finally just decided to remove the rent credit completely(as we didn't want to get locked out) taking that loss and it submitted perfectly. If anything we will wait for our assessment and file an amendment for the rental benefit.

ApplesID

Unfortunately I forgot about being locked out. Now we have to file this by mail. Funny thing is, BC479 wasn't included in the package printouts. I had to manually print it and manually stated "0" for the spouse's income, UCCB,and RDSP.

I think the source of the software error is within the spouse's income and etc being zero. And they have to file individually. The spouse by the way is not a permanent resident of Canada and currently applying for Open work permit. Meaning she has no SIN yet, so no tax filing for her part yet.