Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error with my NETFILE tax return

Hi, I am trying to file my first tax return but it tells me that my NETFILE return was not accepted by the CRA. My CRA result code was 31. I contacted the CRA and they asked me to make sure my name matched the name for my social insurance number. However, I believe I put in everything correctly. I'm not sure why I am still receiving the error and would like help. 

3 Replies

The CRA will present you with the following error (NETFILE code 16), when it believes that you've never filed a Canadian tax return, but you've indicated a prior return in TurboTax:

Your records with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) indicate that you are filing an income tax return for the first time. Please indicate in your software that you are filing an income tax return with the CRA for the first time, and enter your Given Name (if applicable), Second Name (if applicable), and Family Name in the name fields and try to retransmit your return.

If you've filed a Canadian tax return before (either yourself or through an accountant or tax service):

• Make sure you've entered your Social Insurance Number (SIN) correctly
  • Make sure you've entered your date of birth correctly

To verify your SIN and birthdate in TurboTax:

1. Select Find (or the magnifying glass icon) from the TurboTax menu.
  2. In the Find window, type Personal Information and select Go.
  3. Select Personal Information – Name and Birth Date from the list and select Go.

If you're filing your first Canadian tax return:

1. Select Find (or the magnifying glass icon) from the TurboTax menu.
  2. In the Find window, type Personal Information and select Go.
  3. Select Personal Information – Name and Birth Date from the list and select Go.
  4. On the Let's get the rest of your personal info step, scroll to the question Are you filing an income tax return with the CRA for the first time? and answer Yes.

If you're unable to resolve the error as described in the Contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to make sure your information matches what the CRA has on record.

please see our TurboTax FAQ:

Why do I get an error when I try to submit my return using NETFILE?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

dougal42

I made a mistake in providing my wife's, Donna, NOA number for 2021. Although I corrected it and supplied the correct number the account is now frozen.

If your wife's NETFILE account is locked, then you'll need to contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to unlock it. 

If you are in Canada or the United States, you can call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281. If you are elsewhere, you can call 613-940-8495. This page has more ways to contact the CRA: Contact the Canada Revenue Agency