Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
uberhelp1

How do I calculate HST On Uber Income in Ontario?

I am having difficulty with calculating the HST on my uber income.

I printed my Uber Tax Summary and it shows the following: Gross uber rides far $420.54 Tolls $5.71 Booking fee $57.50 Total income of $483.75 Referral/Incentives $355.65

HST on Uber rides $19.46 - Is this my HST collected?

Or do I add the total income of $483.75 + $355.65 (referral income) = $839.40 x 13% for HST collected of $109.12.

Thanks in advance for help.

13 Replies

Hi Uberhep1

Yes, you go it! That is indeed your HST on your Uber rides ($19.46 ). 

For any other Uber related questions, visit turbotax.ca/uber

jpoole80

Can I ask how you managed to get to $19.46 owing in HST? I can't figure it out.

Please explain how you arrived at the HST of $19.46

Yes, your output HST is the amount Uber reports as HST on Uber rides; $19.46. HST is not collected on Incentives or Tips.

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

Your Uber Tax summary should have a list of the type of income you have received and the HST for the year. 

Keep in mind that the HST is calculated on some of the income but not all. For example, no HST paid on incentives, tips, or meal rides. 

I hope this was helpful

dfmottawa

HST on the uber tax summary includes HST for the Uber rides service fees. What income do we report? Do we subtract the HST from the income or does the income not include the HST.  Can we use a portion of uber rides service fees as HST deducation?

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

I am not sure what method of reporting you are using: simplified, regular, or quick method.

The list of income on the Uber sheet is before HST. When you report Gross income including GST: it should be the income on that list + HST (bottom of the list)+ the referrals (no HST) from the top right of the sheet. 

keep in mind that this HST was not calculated on the Tips that are included on the top list not it should be.

Part of your expenses is the booking fees and the airport fees without the HST and other fees on the right side of the Uber sheet (service fees + eats fees). The fees on the right side are not subject to HST. 

I hope this is helpful. 

John153
Returning Member

Hello,  I checked most of the answers, but non of them solve our problem. Let me give you a real example:

I have 

Gross Uber rides fare   72554.78

Split fare                            41.40

Tolls                                   150.43

miscellaneous                 100

Airport fee                       1114.66

Booking fee                  15702.59

Tips                                1875.36

Total:                            91539.22

Sales tax breakdown

HST on Uber rides     11636.40          

Uber rdies service  fee  18118.73

Incentive                        18118.73

Now out of these total information, I want to know 1-  that  my HST which 11636.40 is included in the Gross uber rides or not .  2- How they come to 11636.40.  Because based on my calculation I have to have  101147.2 income in order to come to 11636.40 HST . Please kindly explain.  If I choose Quick method which figures I have to add , because  If you add ( 72554.58 + 11636.40 ) it doe sent make sense, because HST amount is not 13% of 72554.58. I am confused.