Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I Enter Ontario Seniors Care At Home Tax Credit

Ontario Seniors Care At Home Tax Credit
https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-seniors-care-home-tax-credit

Apologies, I must be missing something. But as of this post today, Jan 21, 2023, I can't find the checkbox in Provincial Profile, to enable and enter the eligible amounts paid for the 2022 Ontario Seniors Care At Home Tax Credit (see screen grab below).

oscahtc.jpg

However, the Ontario Seniors Care At Home Tax Credit is visible as a line item in the Provincial Summary when you finish stepping through the Provincial Profile entry steps. (see screen grab below)

provincialSummary.jpg

3 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Unfortunately, the process for applying for the Ontario Seniors Care at Home Tax Credit in TurboTax hasn’t been finalized yet. It should be available in February when filing your return using NETFILE or printing will also become available.

View solution in original post

The new refundable Care at Home Tax Credit allows senior residents of Ontario aged 70 and older to claim 25% of up to $6,000 in eligible medical expenses, for a maximum credit of $1,500. Medical expenses claimed under the federal medical expenses credit can also be claimed for the Ontario credit. 

Once you enter your medical expenses and if you are eligible you will see the amount of the credit transferred to the Provincial side. You will not have to enter an amount or check off that you are claiming this credit as it is automatically transferred from the Federal medical expense page. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

I called CRA today and asked a senior agent to satisfy my curiosity. They stated that yes, all of the Federal/Provincial Medical Claim expense types, and their eligible total in a return, can be used when claiming the Ontario Seniors Care At Home Tax Credit.

This is consistent with what the TurboTax folks state above; where TurboTax simply uses all eligible medical expenses to automatically calculate the OSCAHTC.

It's only this Ontario page below in my opinion that makes it somewhat confusing (at least it was to me) - by just listing 10 bullet pointed expense types. In my opinion they shouldn't list anything; and instead just provide their link to the CRA page with all the Federal/Provincial medical expenses.

20 Replies

Unfortunately, the process for applying for the Ontario Seniors Care at Home Tax Credit in TurboTax hasn’t been finalized yet. It should be available in February when filing your return using NETFILE or printing will also become available.

Hi,

Do you know when in February NETFILE/Print and thus this tax credit will be available to enter? Is there a separate post which I can follow for the Tax Year 2022 availability for NETFILE/Print? Thanks.

The Ontario Seniors Care At Home Tax Credit is available right now in both TurboTax Online and TurboTax CD/Download. You will be able to check it off in the Provincial section and fill out the page as you go through the interview.

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)’s NETFILE Service for the 2022 tax year will open on Monday, February 20, 2023 at 12:00:00 a.m. Eastern Standard Time. You will be able to print or file your return at that time. 

As of today, Feb 11th, 2023 on TurboTax Online I don't observe the Ontario Seniors Care At Home Tax Credit Checkbox or that choice on this page, if this is where it's supposed to be:

turboTaxOnline_provincialSection_feb11_23.jpg

Please clear your browser cache (or use a different browser) and try again. If you are still not able to resolve this issue, please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 for more help.

I'm not talking about that tax credit, yes - it's visible in both of our TurboTax Online views.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/seniors-home-safety-tax-credit

This post has always been talking about this tax credit, it's missing in both your view and my view of that Provincial checkbox page:

The new refundable Care at Home Tax Credit allows senior residents of Ontario aged 70 and older to claim 25% of up to $6,000 in eligible medical expenses, for a maximum credit of $1,500. Medical expenses claimed under the federal medical expenses credit can also be claimed for the Ontario credit. 

Once you enter your medical expenses and if you are eligible you will see the amount of the credit transferred to the Provincial side. You will not have to enter an amount or check off that you are claiming this credit as it is automatically transferred from the Federal medical expense page. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Ok, thanks for that reply. Yes, I called a TurboTax support agent on the weekend and they said they'd escalate and that I should check online mid week after this Monday when NETFILE became available. I checked this morning and as you indicated, there was no change. The Ontario Seniors Care At Home Tax Credit check box is not visible in the Provincial Profile page, but is visible as a line item in the Provincial Summary, as it was since my first enquiry.

My  suggestion is to add your explanation below, in a light blue "info" notification banner at the top of the Provincial Profile:

"If you enter an eligible Medical Expense (eg. dental) which is also eligible for the Ontario Seniors Care At Home Tax Credit, that claim will be automatically transferred to your Provincial Summary page. There is no selection required on this Provincial Profile for the Ontario Seniors Care At Home Tax Credit".

To ask though - have you reviewed the examples of all eligible categories for the Ontario Seniors Care At Home Tax Credit (see my link in my last reply), and confirmed they are all included as eligible Federal Medical Expenses? I assume / hope they are, as the Federal Medical Expenses would have to include all of them for the workflow you describe to work. And somehow(?) TurboTax has to know which of those elgiible expenses to 'cherry pick' to use for the Ontario Seniors Care At Home Tax Credit.

I've no idea how it can do that with precision(?), since there always have been very limited drop down category selection choices in the Medical Expenses claim. eg. "Prescriptions". "Other".

And I think this is what makes the province's Ontario Seniors Care At Home Tax Credit page so confusing? They say "..can be claimed". As though it is a separate set, or subset of eligible care expenses - versus a totally different set or superset for the federal Medical claims (which based on what you say, and based on the limited drop down choices in TurboTax for federal Medical expenses, it's can only be _all of them?).

And then on this page below the province bullet points only 10 items. Rather than them simply saying like what you say TurboTax is doing(?) which is: "if you have eligible medical claims, you can apply an Ontario Seniors Care At Home provincial tax credit on your provincial return equivalent to 25% of your eligible Federal medical claims".

They could condense this entire provincial page below down to that one sentence ^ above and simply link to the table of Federal medical claims. Again - assuming all eligible Federal medical claims are used to determine the this Ontario Seniors Care At Home Tax Credit.

this.jpg