Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I Enter Ontario Seniors Care At Home Tax Credit

I called CRA today and asked a senior agent to satisfy my curiosity. They stated that yes, all of the Federal/Provincial Medical Claim expense types, and their eligible total in a return, can be used when claiming the Ontario Seniors Care At Home Tax Credit.

This is consistent with what the TurboTax folks state above; where TurboTax simply uses all eligible medical expenses to automatically calculate the OSCAHTC.

It's only this Ontario page below in my opinion that makes it somewhat confusing (at least it was to me) - by just listing 10 bullet pointed expense types. In my opinion they shouldn't list anything; and instead just provide their link to the CRA page with all the Federal/Provincial medical expenses.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-seniors-care-home-tax-credit

Thank you for your feedback, we value your opinion and will share this information with the proper TurboTax team.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

My copy of Turbo Tax does not give the option of opting in/out to the Seniors Care at home tax credit and as my mother resides in a retirement home I am pretty sure that she is not eligible for the credit but Turbo Tax is automatically claiming the credit on her return. How do I opt out of it if she is not eligible?

In the PC Desktop version of Turbotax, the Ontario Seniors Care at Home Credit is being incorrectly applied - even when the residence is checked off as a LTC facility.  On Form ON479 it automatically fills in the Medical Expenses and calculates a $1500 credit which does not apply for residents in LTC facilities.  The previous answers to this question only apply to the Online version of Turbotax.    How do you turn this off in the Desktop Version of the software?

Personally I would suggest opening a separate post for your question, since it is different / specific to your workflow and TurboTax version.

HOME SAFETY TAX CREDIT IS A DIFFERENT CREDIT.  I AM LOOKING FOR SENIORS CARE STAY AT HOME CREDIT.  IT STILL DOES NOT SHOW UP AS OF MAY 1st 2023.  I need to access this by today

That's not the correct CREDIT you have the arrow pointing to.  That's a different one - not the Stay at home Care one

It is still not available as of May 1st - please help.  I need to access this before sending

@bathomas  Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

April 6 2024 and the my Inuit Turbotax standard for 2023 doesn't have the Ontario Seniors Care at Home tax credit in it. There is no option to tick in the provincial profile? This is unacceptable. What is going on. I just did an update today and it's still not there? The filing deadline is in 3 weeks.