Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am getting this error message "Please enter a valid social insurance number that is different from your spouse". Both numbers are correct! Can't proceed further!

6 Replies

I am getting this error message "Please enter a valid social insurance number that is different from your spouse". Both numbers are correct! Can't proceed further!

We're sorry for the inconvenience.  Please make sure when entering your social insurance numbers that you are not using any spaces or special characters.

xatjohn

intered correctly several times, no avail

xatjohn

tried repeately, still NG

@xatjohn As Mary-Ann mentioned above, make sure that you are not using any spaces or special characters. The SIN should be 9 numbers, no spaces, like this: 123456789

Also make sure that you are putting the right SIN for the right spouse. If you need to go back & check what you put for your spouse, fill in the rest of your info, put in 811111111 for the SIN, and then click on Back at the bottom of the page. Double check the SIN for the 1st spouse & correct it if needed. Then click Continue, delete 811111111* and put in the SIN for the 2nd spouse.

If you are still not able to resolve the problem, and you are using a paid version of TurboTax, please contact our phone support team. You can get the number for them using this form: https://support.turbotax.intuit.ca/contact/

*Please do not file with this number as your SIN.

KarmTaxes

I'm getting this error... Please enter a valid Social Insurance Number in the format of XXX XXX XXX.  I'm not adding spaces but every time I press enter or Continue it adds a space between each 3 digits and fails  

I have seen others complaints about this issue from 2019... is the free option just broken ad they intuit hasn't bothered fixing it? Or is there a way to continue in some other way?

When you enter your social insurance number you can enter it together and yes, it will automatically put the spaces in for you. If it is saying that you are entering the wrong SIN then I suggest that you remove all information on the page and try again. I just tried starting a return with a spouse and entered SIN numbers and had no issue in the TurboTax Free version. 

If you have completed tax returns in the past with TurboTax please verify that all the information is correct before you proceed. If you have and are still having issues please contact our phone support team who can view your screen and verify the issue.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.