Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DDC2
Level 2

Error persists for users who did not receive the Manitoba education property tax credit advance

The following error does not clear, even after taking the steps required, if a person has in fact not received the advance:

"Enter the amount of resident homeowner tax assistance received from your property tax statement, if applicable, or indicate that a Property tax credit advance was not received and remove the advance payment amount."

Setting the fields underneath to "No" and "0.00" does not clear the error like it should.

This has the secondary consequence of preventing the user from using NETFILE, because this type of error requires resolution before using NETFILE.   Note: it is very reasonable that this error would stop NETFILE, but only until the user reviews the situation and selects "no" from the drop down menu.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Error persists for users who did not receive the Manitoba education property tax credit advance

Hey guys!

I had this same problem - contacted Intuit via Twitter and worked out the solution!

Go to “Forms” mode, then go into the “Netfile Worksheet” (it’s on the list). Go to line 9914 on the second page and “check” it (double click and an X will appear in box).  This line confirms that you did not get an advance. 
That’s it! After that you’ll be clear to netfile, error resolved. 

View solution in original post

15 Replies
DDC2
Level 2

Update:

Just for fun, I set it to "Yes" and a made up number ($700.00, which I presume is what most people would have).

Turns out, the error still persists.  So choices made on the review screen are having zero impact to fixing the error.  This might actually be a deeper problem than my bug report indicates, affecting tax returns in Manitoba.

jperron1111
Returning Member

I did not receive the Manitoba education property tax credit advance and am getting the same error which is not letting me file electronically rendering the entire purchase of Turbotax useless. Hopefully they fix the bug soon or I’ll be returning it to Costco. 

DDC2
Level 2

Yep, the only way I could clear the error was to remove all information about the home ownership; thus foregoing a $700 tax credit in my filing.  Kind of a severe bug for Manitobans to use the product!

I know how to amend a return using CRA "My Account" so I just netfiled without the $700 credit; better to get an already sizable refund now rather than waiting for this bug to be fixed.  But I can imagine most people wouldn't want to go through that step; this is a bug that needs to be fixed.

I am having the same problem. I’m glad that I’m not the only one!  I hope they fix this problem or this may be the last time I use turbotax. 

MJA4
Level 1

I had the same problem.

But, I was able to go online and use the free TurboTax program and complete, then NETFILE my tax return.  The online version doesn't have the CD-based bug.

But, boy-oh-boy, do they ever push to upgrade from the "free" version!!

denbev

I tried to do my taxes again today , problem still persists with the Manitoba tax credit, it will not accept the no and the 0.00 amount. And cannot file the income tax as you cannot go beyond this point. Turbo tax tax please get this fixed as we can’t file our taxes without a patch on this problem.

denbev

It is called the Manitoba property tax credit.

Hey guys!

I had this same problem - contacted Intuit via Twitter and worked out the solution!

Go to “Forms” mode, then go into the “Netfile Worksheet” (it’s on the list). Go to line 9914 on the second page and “check” it (double click and an X will appear in box).  This line confirms that you did not get an advance. 
That’s it! After that you’ll be clear to netfile, error resolved. 

jperron1111
Returning Member

it won't allow me to "check" the box in line 9914