Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Earth2Mars
Returning Member

Filing Taxes for Flight School (T11B) for 2018 and 2019

I attended flight school in 2018 and 2019.

I only got my T2202 (T11B). I read that there is such a maximum that I can claim.

- I am not sure how to do taxes for this. Do I add whatever the T2202 says, or do I calculate certain hours?

if so, shouldn't I wait until next season to claim the more expensive hours of the program?

- If I wait for next year and claim only the hours in 2020, can I claim CWB for 2019?

- If I filed my taxes wrong and needed to change tuition information to reflect the above / or claim CWB, can I refile?

So many questions, but basically connected to one another.

5 Replies

Yes, you just need to put in whatever is on the T2202.

You must claim your T2202 for the year that is on the slip. If you don't in the future you won't be able to use it until you fix the return for that year. If you received any credits that you were not eligible to get, you'll have to pay them back.

If you make a mistake in entering your T2202 or have filed without it, you can make changes after you have filed your tax return through the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) or through ReFILE. This FAQ has more information: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/tax-return-amendment/help/i-have-filed-my-tax-return-...

Earth2Mars
Returning Member

Thank you for the response.

I filed my 2018 by mail.

I can connect to CRA on TurboTax.

- I need to submit my T2202 for 2018 (I had no income in 2018),

Can I just combine it with 2019 (I had income in 2019)? or even combine it with 2020 when I finish training?

- If I need to redo 2018, do I need to mail it or do I just file another 2018 normally through TurboTax

- If I am not expecting to use any Tuition credits in Canada (Oversees employment) can I claim Work Income Benefit for 2019 (having not claimed T2202 by choice) or is that cheating the system?

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

No. You cannot combine your T2202 slips for multiple years under one return.

- You have to refile your 2018 tax return with the T2202 form that tax year and calculate the carry forward tuition amount

- Report T2202 from 2019 only in the 2019 return. In another screen, you will be able to enter the carry forward amount from 2018 (after you adjust your 2018 return)

- You need to wait for your NOA (Notice Of Assessment) before you can do any changes to your 2018 return:

• If you filed using Netfile > you can change the information in TurboTax and refile the return
  • If you mailed the return > it will be easier to do the change in your CRA account "My Account"

- WITB is for Canadian resident and you have to report a minimum of $3000 earned net income and not be a full-time student even if you don't want to file your T2202.

I hope this was helpful

Earth2Mars
Returning Member

Very helpful!!!

Thank you

One last thing is, that I mailed my 2018 tax, and in my CRA account, it doesn't let me change my return. 

Does that mean I have to mail my refile and wait for NOA in order to file 2019?

Is it the same filing website or is it a different form I have to send (adjustment)? 

The Canada Revenue Agency advises, in the link below, to "Wait until you receive your notice of assessment before asking for changes." Please follow the CRA link included for steps to adjust your return. If the change you intend on making will not affect the 2019 return, you can file the return without waiting. 

How to change a return