Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer of Disability Tax Credit

Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to see that your DTC will be entered correctly so it can be of benefit.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

I also am thankful for yourself and TurbotaxGinette for promting me to look more into this credit as well!!!

I now have the right understanding!!  Thank you both! 🙂

Lfjen
Returning Member

I am having the same problem when I transfer my son’s disability tax credit to myself. My refund amount has increased, and the credit is showing on my return but his refund amount didn’t decrease and the credit is also still showing on his return. So are you saying you just netfile like this and the returns get reassessed and adjusted by the CRA?

so we won’t know what my sons refund is until they get reassessed? Because the amount that I’ve transferred to myself isn’t reflected on his return yet?

Lfjen
Returning Member

So are you saying it will get reassessed by the cra after we netfile?  So we won’t know the true amounts of each person’s return until they get reassessed?

linwangca
Returning Member

Hi, 

I did exactly the same in my last year report. But when I get my NOA, I was told that I cannot allow the DTC amount transferred to me. I called CRA, I was told that disabled person shouldn't claim the amount in his Tax report. But Turbox Tax looks like I couldn't do so except override the credit amount in his tax report. But once I am override the amount in line 31600, I couldn't submit the tax report through Netfile.

gtip
Level 2

Well, this is different from the advice I was given by CRA. I may end up having to speak to CRA after they assess the returns. It’s not ideal. 

gtip
Level 2

You can always override the field just to see how much your son’s refund will be but don’t file it that way. I’m a CPA but not a tax expert so take this for what it’s worth. Good luck!

If you are transferring the DTC from your dependent- Then you will need to make sure that your Dependent is entered on your tax return. Then you will claim the DTC transferred from your dependent following the steps in the article below: 

How do I claim the Disability Tax Credit transferred from my dependant?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

mpg_yvr

I believe it's line 31800 to enter the amount for a DTC transfer 

This topic shows solvd, but I still don't know how to do that. I have the same suituation.

Should we claim the DTC on both taxer ( self and dependant )? I believe we all know how to do that, but just don't know how to not claim the DTC for himself after the DTC has been transfer to someone who qualify.

If both person claim DTC at the some time, just take too much time to make adjustment later if it's not correct.

Turbotax should post the guide to do that. This is so frustrating.