Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TurboTax 2019 - Carry Forwards From 2018 Form - Incorrect Instructions for CNIL Inputs

Since TurboTax Standard 2019 did not roll forward the 2018 amounts for CNIL Total Investment Expense and CNIL Total Investment Income for the Spouse return, I had to enter them manually. The Carry Forward Form incorrectly references 2018 T936 Lines A and B as the sources. The correct references are 2018 T936  Lines 16 and 19. This is the fourth bug I have found today.

8 Replies

TurboTax 2019 - Carry Forwards From 2018 Form - Incorrect Instructions for CNIL Inputs

If you have updated your software and the issue is still there, please contact our support team for further assistance as they have the option to view your screen to be able to resolve what may be occurring.

It is now May 1, 2020, and I noticed the same bug still exists. Thank you for clarifying the error for me - I was wondering, because the Easy-Step Interview references lines 16 and 19, but the Forms reference Lines A and B. The differences are huge. Turbo-Tax - please clarify which is correct, please!

I'm seeing the issues with carryforward of CNIL (Form T936) inputs from previous years.  In re-checking my previous year's filings, I can see this issue started for me in 2017 and continued in both 2018 and 2019.  Prior to 2017 it carried forward the correct values, after that it's been wrong every year.  Looks like a major bug to me.

It seems this bug is still there, I noticed it filed my last 4 returns incorrectly. Now what?

@jennifer54 

Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.

I called the number, answer was 'you can refile your previous returns'. I asked how to open a bug report and the very nice person on the phone said that the technical people read the community pages and will address it. hmm? 

Anyhow,  It seems that autofill is inserting the values from Line 15 and Line 18 and not Line 16 and Line 19 of the prior years T936 form. I am not sure what the significance of that is since its for the calculation of Cumulative Net Investment Losses, perhaps its a wash? Either way its confusing.

I am interested to know how previous community members addressed problems with form T936. Can you correct it on the CRA My Account site? or did you go back and refile previous returns via TurboTax? 

Alarming that this bug persists considering it was pointed out years ago. For current tax year, I recall being able to overwrite the incorrect values. But, that does not correct prior years.

We appreciate your feedback and we will bring this forward to our engineers. You can go to the CRA "My Account" to Refile or make an adjustment to your previous tax returns.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.