Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are employment expenses not being calculated properly - it looks like only the supplies portion of the form is being entered as employment expenses?

When filling out the employment expenses form for working from home due to COVID (detailed method), only the value entered for 'Supplies' makes any difference on what is calculated for 'employment expenses'. I can't see the T777S that is filled out behind the scenes but it seems like Line 5 is not being calculated correctly.
7 Replies

Why are employment expenses not being calculated properly - it looks like only the supplies portion of the form is being entered as employment expenses?

One of the common reasons for the employment expenses not to be calculated properly is due the box 12. Box 12 has to be filled and the CRA calculator must be used to get the proper amount to enter. 

Please follow these links, for further details:

T777-s Statement of Employment Expenses for Working at Home Due to COVID-19  

Home office expenses for employees. How to claim 

Thank you for using TurboTax.

Thank for the suggestion. However, line 12 makes no difference, whether I put the correct number, or $20, or $20000, the results are the same. The only box on that form that actually changes how much is being calculated for my final employment expenses is Line 1.

II face same issue. Have you been able to find a solution

My solution was to use a different free tax software that works 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in the same boat: I have a 7000 "other employment expense" that I have no way to find out how it was calculated. I told the software I had no employment expenses!

Hi, just wondering if you were ever able to figure out how this got calculated. I just discovered a similar issues with my 2021 return but unfortunately it’s because CRA is asking for documentation. I told the software we did not have expenses but yet it somehow calculated that we had $20k. 

If you see a calculation issue, please contact our phone support at 1-888-829-8608 as they can view your return to see what the issue might be.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.