Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tuition Transfer

Hello,

I (parent) am filing my 2023 taxes and when completing the section regarding tuition transfer - continue to receive a message that the "Maximum transferable amount for XXXX is $0.00".  I am aware of all the entries required earlier in the process, which I require from my daughter's 2023 filing including non-refundable tax credits (provincial and federal), etc., etc..  I have successfully done this in prior years and familiar with the process and what data is required.  Her filing does show a transfer of $XXXX.00; no error there.  I have read a number of posts that this is a problem for others and perhaps a system issue.  Please assist.

5 Replies

Tuition Transfer

To verify if it is an issue or not, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help you. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. When the message asks if you would like to receive an email, say NO and say "speak to a representative" and hold the line.

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Tuition Transfer

Hello, I did speak with someone as suggested - who then got an "expert" on line with him - and who was also granted access to my file.  In the end, they did know how to assist and provided incorrect information.  The first person indicated he has received a # of calls on this issue - with no resolution.  At one point the expert looked at my file and said we made too much $ -- which is wrong, there is no thresh hold for the parent to be able to receive the tuition credit transfer.  One other suggestion was that my daughter could not be a dependent because of her age - which also incorrect - she can be a dependent b/c she is a full-time student.  I knew more than both did in respect to the filing of the taxes and the guidelines.  I then spoke at length with CRA (3x for a variety of reasons) - in the end they confirmed that it would seem to be a problem in the program (because we are able to have the transfer and we have all the correct figures - i.e. what is required for input as you move forward through the program to transfer the tuition).  I will not be using TurboTax it would seem (as told to me when I called) if a problem in the program, they could not assist.

Tuition Transfer

We are sorry to hear that your experience with our phone support was less than optimal. We have sent you a private message.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Tuition Transfer

Was this glitch corrected yet? I am having same issue.

Tuition Transfer

@Sg123 There has been updates to both TurboTax Online and TurboTax CD/Download. Can you please try again and see if the issue is still occurring. TurboTax Online users may need to clear their cache to see the changes. TurboTax CD/Download user need to make sure they have Build 7002.

TurboTax Online

TurboTax CD/Download