Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michael_W1971
Returning Member

TurboTax won't run or update since a disk repair.

I had a disk repair in Windows 10 this past week, then I ran TurboTax and it asked to update.  After the update, I was no longer able to run TurboTax 2021, or even 2020.  They immediately try to update and disappear.

TurboTax 2018 and 2019 still work. I can disable my anti-virus and security completely and it still won't run.  I can try to install on another computer but that's not my preference.

5 Replies

Please try reinstalling the program using the download from our website. It will not delete any of your saved returns. This TurboTax FAQ tells you how to install TurboTax CD/Download: How do I install TurboTax for the current tax year after I download it from the Internet?

If you are still not able to resolve this issue, please contact our phone support team for more help.

Michael_W1971
Returning Member

Thanks, but I've already tried reinstalling several times with no luck.  Is there a guide for remnant files or registry entries to look for to fully erase the program?

Please contact our phone support team as they will be better able to assist you. You can use the form on this page to get the right phone number to call: TurboTax Contact Us

Michael_W1971
Returning Member

Yes, well, calling [phone number removed] gets me a foreign-based "agent" who cannot put me in touch directly with someone who can actually solve my problem, but will go through the "process" of telling me to uninstall and reinstall even though I have done that twice already.

I need direct contact with someone who can help me to use the TurboTax Diagnostics program and actually help me.

Michael_W1971
Returning Member

And now after an hour with tech support, I have been asked to uninstall and reinstall three times.  I am treated like an idiot and with ever escalation to a higher "tier" of tech support, we only repeat the same items.  I'm sharing my screen and they can see what is happening, and yet, I have to repeat this.

This feels like it is deliberately done to frustrate me and have me give up, because no actual assistance is being provided.  This is the worst technical support I have ever experienced, and I have recorded the conversation to prove that your agents tell me to do things, then conveniently forget to do them.

I need a better answer.