Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Intuit ever going to increase the number of lines available for the T1135 form?

The ability to file form T1135 is useless for anyone who can't do the simplified version and who has more than three lines worth of securities to add. There is no way that I can find to add more lines, and I see several years of complaints.

As it stands now, I have to print out the **bleep** form and mail it. This is both ridiculous and highly frustrating.

22 Replies

Is Intuit ever going to increase the number of lines available for the T1135 form?

I have passed on your comments & suggestions to our product development team.

Thank you for your input.

This has not yet been addressed in the download and it is April 2023. This makes TurboTax incomplete as it is unable to complete Netfile.

@noodle As I said above, I have forwarded a request to add extra lines to the T1135 form to our development team. However, a request like this, if it is acted upon, likely will not be completed this tax season.

In the meantime, you can try combining items if possible. Or you can NETFILE your T1 return and then print and mail your T1135 using the forms on the CRA website, and attach any extra forms that you need (the CRA form also only has limited lines). 

Thank you Susan for trying  but people have been requesting this exact change to turbotax download for years with no results.   Other Canadian tax programs have a t1135 to which spaces can be added and the form then filed electronically using Netfile.  Why can't  turbotax solve this problem?  If every year the development team is saying 'only a few people need this why bother?' then I have to say that they should be referred to the CRA website "T1135 must be filed on or before the due date of your income tax return ...There are substantial penalties for failing to complete and file Form T1135 accurately and by the due date."  Two important points here are 1) that the t1135 must be accurate, so items should not be combined if they have to be listed separately and 2) the t1135 must be filed by the due date. When you print and mail the t1135 you do not get a receipt and you can only hope the required form got to the right place.  Thank you.

Thank you for your feedback, we value your opinion and have shared this information with the proper TurboTax team.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

clj4
Level 1

Similar to others, I had to paper-file the T1135 form back in April due to the limited lines available in the detailed investments section.

Now, I am attempting Netfile the T1 return itself and it is telling me I can't because I must fix the errors of omitted information on T1135!!  It is saying I must paper-file the T1 return.  

Can someone please indicate the work around that will allow me to Netfile the T1 return.  And can TurboTax PLEASE fix this issue for 2023.  It is inexcusable for an other-wise efficient and user-friendly product.  

Thank you.

Hello TurboTaxGinette,

For many years TurboTax users, including myself, have been asking Intuit to upgrade the T1135 form and allow them to add additional lines as needed to each of the categories in Part B of the form. And every year your response and that of your colleagues is the same: "I have forwarded a request to add extra lines to the T1135 form to our development team. However, a request like this, if it is acted upon, likely will not be completed this tax season." For unexplained reasons, Intuit clearly considers this issue, which is essential for many of those required to submit a T1135, not important enough to act upon and thus keeps ignoring this request.

As a long time user of TurboTax and its predecessors, I have been reluctant to switch to tax software that has the option of adding extra lines in the T1135 form because I generally like the user-friendliness and versatility of TurboTax. But the hassle of the workaround options you have been suggesting, such as combining items into 3 lines, netfiling the T1 and then mailing in a properly completed T1135 downloaded from the CRA website, is just not worth it anymore.

Before I make the step to finally move away from TurboTax and purchase other Canadian tax software, I would like to know if this long-standing issue with the T1135 form has been fixed for tax year 2023 (CD/download version for Windows).

Thank you. I look forward to your response.

Did you complete the T1135 and then the extra ones you sent in?

As per the CRA: If I own specified foreign property in more than three countries, how do I determine the country codes for Part A?

The month-end cost amount of all specified foreign property should be aggregated country-by-country. Choose the top three countries based on the highest month-end cost amount. Refer to the country code instructions on the form to determine the appropriate country for each property.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

pt17

The CRA form has "Add Row" buttons to add more rows. I have to use it every year. I really should look into other tax preparation options since TurboTax refuses to code this basic functionality. It's now the 2023 tax year and it still does not support it.