Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form T1135 - inability to add more than 3 lines!!! Is this being addressed?

I find it incredible that the TurboTax software for this form does not allow for supplementary lines to be added. I cannot imagine that there are many individuals, who are required to submit the form, that have have less than 4 lines of information!  

I was just on the telephone with the CRA (45 minute wait!) and was told that my options are to file the return by mailing it in and including the complete T1135 or file the return electronically and mail in the T1135. 

However, the comment was that mailing the T1135 form will constitute a revision to the electronically submitted return! I don't necessarily see  a problem with this since it won't change the return. However this whole process is a serious pain! 

I have been using TurboTax and the predecessor software for many years but perhaps it's time to look to make a change. 

Someone also commented that they were able to separately file the T1135 on a government website but I cannot find where that can be done. Does anyone know how this can be done?

11 Replies

Please refer to the answer below :

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/3811626

That answer doesn't work anymore since "support" has moved.

Has there been any update to this??

To get around the issue of errors (and unable to Netfile the rest of my tax documents) because there are not enough lines, I filled in the T1135 by entering one line with "OTH" as the country code and included the total of all the foreign amounts. I sent in CRA's fillable T1135 PDF form (allows addition of rows needed) by mail and did not Netfile the T1135 for 2021 through TurboTax. 

This issue has not been addressed by TurboTax as of May 2, 2022. It caused me to have to amend my 2020 T1135 through the voluntary disclosure program (VDP). After Nefiling 2020 taxes, I later realized that entering the top 3 countries only applies when using Part A of the form. For Part B, the amounts for each country have to be filled in. That is very problematic for everyone who requires more than 3 lines. It creates extra work for CRA as well and I'm surprised they haven't demanded TT fix the problem. They should at least put a big note on the screen saying they can't provide more than 3 lines in Part B and provide some way of getting around the issue rather than forcing users to make up workarounds. In one post, someone said they clicked a box that said they had no foreign holdings to get around it. Yikes!!!

Thanks for the detailed response. Seems to still be a problem with turbotax 2022 as of March 2023. I also noticed that CRA has posted a T1135 pdf form that allows additional rows to be added for more than three country codes. As far as I can tell from the CRA and turbotax's web site there is not way to file that pdf form electronically -- so much for turbotax's claim that you can use turbotax to efile T1135 forms. 

Turbotax should add a disclaimer to their claim that they support efiling of T1135 forms to say it does not work in the very common case that you have income from more than three countries to report.  This silly limit makes the efiling of T1135 feature in turbotax useless for me and many other users.

@peterkrug We will pass on your comments to the product development team. Thank you for your input.

As of April 4, 2023 you still can NOT add a line to the T1135 form.  The downloaded fillable PDF from CRA lets you easily add the lines.  I used that as my working copy.  So I guess I have to file my taxes electronically and then mail in the paper form for T1135.  Not what you expect after years of input from users on this issue.

As an aside, I also use Intuit Corporation Tax software and that does not even offer the ability to electronically file the T1135.  So that too got mailed.

Seriously Intuit, fix the issue with T1135 and electronic submission.  The CRA has allowed it for years.  No reason to not fix this.  Unlikely that electronic filing will ever be removed so it is not a one year fix.

@ldh072011 As I said above, I have forwarded a request to add extra lines to the T1135 form to our development team. However, a request like this, if it is acted upon, likely will not be completed this tax season.

You can always try using TurboTax Online, which does allow you to enter more than 3 items per category.

IB387

I guess Turbo tax is not interested in user feedback even though you always ask for it.  Why in the world would this issue take 2 years to change it to allow more lines on the T1135?  Also would be super if you could add joint accounts foreign info as one and then have it split it for the T1135.

As I am on a role:

- copy and pasting into the software would be good

- mass deletes e.g. when you get the T5008s individually loaded in there by mistake.  I thought I had told it not to but there it was.    350 individual deletes and for each on you had to confirm the delete.