Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If self-employed, where do I claim training expenses? I don't see that option in the Business Expenses frames after Income. Thanks!

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Sally71

If self-employed, where do I claim training expenses? I don't see that option in the Business Expenses frames after Income. Thanks!

If you were required to take some training and you spend more than $100 at a recognize school, then you could claim tuition.  

Otherwise it could be as other expenses, maybe.  You have to show that you were required to pay for that to have work, and it is a "cost of doing business".

This is the guide for self employed non incorporated: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/t4002/t4002-14e.pdf

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Sally71

If you were required to take some training and you spend more than $100 at a recognize school, then you could claim tuition.  

Otherwise it could be as other expenses, maybe.  You have to show that you were required to pay for that to have work, and it is a "cost of doing business".

This is the guide for self employed non incorporated: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/t4002/t4002-14e.pdf

This link is dead. Can you please provide more info on where to claim training expenses for self-employed?

You will enter training expenses under "Other Expenses".  This is at the end of the Expenses section in the Self-Employment part of the Interview.

As per CRA - https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re...

I read that this should be added in the "Other expenses" section of the Self-employment part of my return.  However, the interview only allows for conventions. Where do I put these expenses?

@alanchilton 

If the training courses were to get new skills, then you can't claim them. If they were to improve or maintain an existing skill, then yes, you can claim them as other expenses. "Other Expenses" is later on in the interview. 

If you can't deduct the cost of a training course as a self-employment expense, you might be able to claim it as a tuition amount.