Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wgietz

What does this mean: "Please enter a valid social insurance number that is different from your spouse"? I entered my common law spouse's number and got this response.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What does this mean: "Please enter a valid social insurance number that is different from your spouse"? I entered my common law spouse's number and got this response.

Assuming you are not mistyping an invalid SIN for your spouse, this error indicates you may have accidentally entered your spouse's SIN on in your own information profile.

Ensure that your information is correctly entered, and you should have no issue entering distinct, valid SINs for the two of you.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Assuming you are not mistyping an invalid SIN for your spouse, this error indicates you may have accidentally entered your spouse's SIN on in your own information profile.

Ensure that your information is correctly entered, and you should have no issue entering distinct, valid SINs for the two of you.

There is a bug

both SINs are unique, I tried to delete spaces but the system automatically adds them back in. Can’t proceed from this screen. 

owlsowls

Clearly they haven't fixed the bug. I have the same problem, today, May 27.

This is so SO SO FUSTRATING. You may think this is a friendly software and there you go same issue. Jan21 /2021.

You can't move forward because the same issue. I double check if I was entering the wrong information... Nop.... it seems there is a glitch !

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

When you type the SIN number, make sure you don't add spaces or any invalid characters: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/errors-confirmation-messages/help/error-message-inval...

If you are filing a couple's returns, each person should have their information page with the SIN number entered as explained above. 

If you are filing someone's else return separately, make sure you don't continue with your profile instead start a new return from the main page. 

I hope this was helpful 

I am trying to file taxes for my daughter who has a new husband last year and he is not a citizen.  How do I get by the Social insurance number field trying to add him as a dependent as he had not income

@blairje2004 Please use 000 000 000 in the SIN number spot for your daughter’s spouse.

Also please note that you can't add a spouse/common-law partner as a dependant. Please see this TurboTax FAQ for more information: Can I claim my spouse or common-law partner as my dependant?

rossjw

I is my SIN  that keeps saying is valid ?

Please clear your cache/cookies, sign out of your return then restart your computer. Make sure you are in the right spouse screen.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.