Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nmll000
Returning Member

Bug in T1-M E moving expenses form calculation, TT standard

I have moving expenses carried forward from last year I could not claim, but can claim this year. In Part 4 this computes what gets entered. In box 27 the amount is < $1000, in box 28 you have to put in your eligible income (annoying side note: I have to compute this manually for some reason instead of TT figuring it out for me). The amount is >$10000. Box 29 is the allowable moving expenses which is the lesser of either 27 or 28, yet TT incorrectly enters enters a value of 0 (should be box 27). I suspect the S/W is incorrectly subtracting one from another, gets a negative number and puts in 0 instead. This is not correct, if box 28 is greater than 27 then 29 gets filled in with box 27, else it gets box 28. Also, box 30 (the carry forward) is set to 0.

Currently the only way to fix is to override, but that voids e-submission. Please fix in the next update.

Update, but first a rant:

As I have seen elsewhere in these groups there is absolutely no mechanism to report a bug and to have it tracked to it's completion. Either fixed, available in release X, or not a bug for reasons Y & Z. All you can do is post on these boards an pray somebody monitoring them has enough interest/bandwidth to investigate the posts and do something internally. Awful for a company as large as Intuit, but it's great for fault metrics since you don't have a customer-centric mechanism for tracking continuous improvement. But I digress...

I figured the only way to achieve an acknowledgement of the issue was to call. Surprisingly, I did not have to wait that long in the queue, however what ensued afterwards was extremely painful and unnecessary. First of all I want to say the person I had both times on the call was very courteous, patient, and genuinely interested in helping me. I wish all support staff I've had to deal with were as friendly. Unfortunately it appears the internal support mechanisms she had to deal with were less than helpful, and (IMO) downright condescending at times. It appears that there is a 1 hour limit phone support can spend at any one time and after the first hour my problem was not resolved, a call for the next day was scheduled. The following day I was called back and we pursued the problem for another hour to no avail. I was promised another call the following day and it never happened. I guess 2 hours is the limit for any one problem, and I still was unable to get it working.

What really gets me going is the "internal" group(s) she was corresponding with stated "there is no problem". Well, I beg to differ and if any internal "developer" had lifted a finger and tried a simple test it would have been immediately obvious there is a problem.

I can make the deduction work with a hack to work work around the BUG. If ANYBODY at Intuit is monitoring this open up a ticket and get it fixed.

If you have a moving expenses carry forward from previous TT will not allow the claim unless you override (and thus have to mail in your return). The BUG which needs fixing is that in order for TT to allow the claim the number in line 3 in PART 2 (in the same form) must be greater than 40 km. Yes, you have to tell TT that the distance you moved LAST YEAR (even though you did not actually move that year) must be greater than 40 kms. Only then will it process the carry over moving expense and claim it. This is obviously not correct and is a hack to work around the bug which will allow you to submit electronically. Note I have not tried to file the return yet, so there may be other issues...

To any Intuit support support staff monitoring: The proper implementation is to allow any value in line 24a to be claimed regardless of the result in line 3. It appears TT is using the result in line 26 or 27 conditioned by line 3 which is not correct. Carry forwards can be used at any time provided it is less than the Net Eli gable Income in line 28.

8 Replies
bobgreenhalgh
Returning Member

I have EXACTLY the same issue with TT Standard desktop version

Line 24A (unclaimed moving expenses from 2021) has a 'large' number, which is carried forward to 26 (net moving expenses) and then 27

Line 28 (net eligible income) is a much smaller number that I earned in 2022

Line 29 (allowable moving expenses) should autofill with the smaller of the two number, i.e. with the income from line 28, but is holds fast to zero and a double click takes me to 21900 on the T1. And, a double click THERE takes me back to the T1-M

Its like Groundhog Day, but with taxes. VERY annoying bug

bobgreenhalgh
Returning Member

Adding the comment that the first product support person suggested I call CRA to resolve the issue or pay for the TT review.  She basically hung up on me at the 62 minutes mark, saying I should call back to try my luck with another agent

Did call back and this conversation was a little more useful, but still no resolution

In both cases my agent was speaking with an internal support person who said, in BOTH cases, there is nothing wrong ...

nmll000
Returning Member

Hi Bob,

I'm not surprised the bug has not been fixed given the attitude I was given last year, and unfortunately it seems the "attitude" still persists. Fortunately the hack I figured out let me submit electronically with no issues so I guess anybody who is in a similar situation can read these posts do the same thing to get around the bug. This company has ISO9001 certification so it is mandatory to support continuous improvement and customer satisfaction. Given what you and I have been through and a lack of customer focused bug reporting and followup I wonder what metrics the company actually uses to support these two goals.

Don't get me started about Quicken's ongoing (10+ year) lack of support for anything other than single currency assets in your RRSP.

Thank you for your feedback- I will be forwarding this over to the appropriate team for investigation- I will update here as soon as I have a response. 

Thank you for your patience & for choosing TurboTax.

bobgreenhalgh
Returning Member

Same issue just happened to me; used carry forward to move data from TT 2022 to TT 2023, including unused portion of previously submitted and CRA approved moving expenses.

Seems TT cannot do the math for Box 29 of T1-M, i.e. 

Enter whichever is less: amount from line 27 or line 28.

I agree with a previous poster that TT is assuming line 28 is a negative number and is populating line 29 with zero. Why? Because line 28 has a '-' (negative sign) inside the box so any data entered is probably assumed to be a negative

What a glitchy bit of software

TurboTax, pls fix this!

On the top of the T1-M form, please enter the kilometers of your move in part 2. This will make the calculation work. 

ebell44
Returning Member

This is now 2024 and this issues still not fixed? I've had to call into support twice now. Really feels like a mickey mouse organization running support. No ticket # given, I had to go through the same story twice, the agents can't figure it out, and don't seem to know where to go next. Absurd. It's a simple bug!! Line 29 does not calculate from Line 27 and 28. Fix it! 

According to your file, the issue was resolved.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.