Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Carl44

Changing format of 2020 tax files from PDF to tt20 format - so can transfer tax info

Last year I saved my tax files to my online Intuit  turbotax account as I was instructed to do - unfortunately it saved them as PDF files.  This year, like every other year, I bought Intuit turbotax STANDARD software, but I am not able to transfer information from 2020 tax files because they were not saved in as tt20 format.

Is there anyway to change the format?  OR Is there anyway for me to transfer 2020 tax information into 2021 taxes?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

6 Replies

Changing format of 2020 tax files from PDF to tt20 format - so can transfer tax info

Unfortunately, you can't import or open TurboTax Online returns in TurboTax CD/Download. TurboTax Online can't create .tt files, which is what TurboTax CD/Download uses.

You can still print or download a PDF copy of your TurboTax Online return. Please see this TurboTax FAQ for instructions: In the online edition of TurboTax, how do I print a copy of my tax return?

Or you can use TurboTax Online again this year. If you use the same account as in previous years, then you will be asked if you want to transfer your information when you start your return.  

If you need a refund, please use the form on this FAQ to request one: How do I get a refund for a TurboTax product?

FYI: For 2021, there is no Standard version of TurboTax Online. Instead, we have Deluxe. You can read more about on this TurboTax FAQ: What happened to the Standard edition of TurboTax Online?

This is so stupid!!!

How come is not possible to transfer files between you products.  When you grab a cd from Costco is not very clear that is the Online or CD version.  This is so inconvenient and is so disappointing that a software company of your size cannot produce a solution for a stupid export/import function for our taxes.

This is so frustrating, now I have to enter manually all the information because I cannot get a refund.

We understand your frustration and will send your feedback to the proper department. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

I agree it is stupid I paid for the software and I do not have access to my file to do tax on desktop software

next I will switch to different company How problem is to sent *.tt22 file I been doing desktop for more 10 year by mistake last year I bought online software.

We understand your frustration, and we appreciate your feedback.