Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Charland

Non-resident - tax for year of departure from Canada

Question 1 - I left Canada in June 2023, meaning that I lived in Canada for less than 183 days during 2023, does this make me a non-resident for 2023? (so I only disclose Canadian income in 2023?) or a part resident? (so I disclose my worldwide income for the period from Jan-Jun, when I left Canada).

Question 2 - how do I report my departure in Turbotax and are there any additional forms that I need to file? (e.g. exit taxes)

I no longer have a Canadian phone number, so despite paying for the live support I do not seem to be able to access this. Does Turbotax offer an option to call online?

3 Replies

If you are unsure of your residency status, you will need to contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and confirm it with them. 

If you are in Canada or the United States, you can call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281. If you are elsewhere, you can call 613-940-8495. This page has more ways to contact the CRA: Contact the Canada Revenue Agency

If you are a non-resident, please be aware that TurboTax doesn't have the forms T1161, T1243 or T1244. You can get these forms from the CRA website.

Unfortunately, our Tax Experts can't phone outside of Canada. You can still use the chat feature, though.

Did you figure this out? I'm in a similar situation and didn't have much luck with calling the turbo tax staff.

For question 1, I think you might be able to get an idea of if you're a non resident for tax purposes from notes below.  Being a resident of another country seems to be an important condition.

For question 2, I'm a bit confused as well, but there does seem to be a field where you can put in your departure date. Interestingly adjusting the departure date by even 1 day seems to affect your tax return amount. There is also a field you can put in your foreign income which I believe affects your tax bracket? You can check out my question https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/troubleshooting/discussion/i-left-canada-in-may-where.... Hopefully someone smarter than me can confirm if I am correct.

"

You are a non-resident for income tax purposes if you:

• normally, customarily, or routinely live in another country and are not considered a resident of Canada
  • do not have significant residential ties in Canada and any of the following applies:
    • You live outside Canada throughout the tax year
    • You stay in Canada for less than 183 days in the tax year

"

"

If you lived outside Canada during the tax year and you are a government employee, a member of the Canadian Forces or their overseas school staff, or working under a Global Affairs Canada assistance program, see Government employees outside Canada for the rules that apply to you. These rules can also apply to your dependent children and other family members.

If you sojourned in Canada for 183 days or more (the 183-day rule) in the tax year, do not have significant residential ties with Canada, and are not considered a resident of another country under the terms of a tax treaty between Canada and that country, see Deemed residents of Canada for the rules that apply to you.

"

"If you are a deemed resident of Canada, and also establish residential ties in a country with which Canada has a tax treaty and that you are considered to be a resident of that country for the purposes of that tax treaty, you may be considered a deemed non-resident of Canada for income tax purposes.

You become a deemed non-resident of Canada when your ties with the other country become such that, under the tax treaty with which Canada has with the other country, you would be considered a resident of that other country and not Canada."

Sources:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/individuals-leaving...

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/individuals-leaving...

For clarifications about your residency status and specific forms and rules, please contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) at 1-800-959-8281

• Outside Canada/U.S. call collect
    1-613-940-8495
  • The CRA only accepts collect calls made through a telephone operator. After your call is accepted by an automated response, you may hear a beep and notice a normal connection delay. This service operates in Eastern Time.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.