Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Louisedm

on line activation code

I did my taxes with the online version paying by individual return last year. This year I have purchased the self-employed online edition from Costco which allows for 12 returns with an activation code. How do I enter the activation code? When I sign in, the system goes straight to the prompt of continuing an existing return or starting a new return. I can't see where to activate the code to begin. I don't want to go through the whole preparing a return only to find I can't load the activation code. 

I attempted to call to resolve this only to be prompted to a new number with # only to be told the new system doesn't work where I live in Canada. 

Quite frustrating!!!

10 Replies

on line activation code

First, please make sure that you have purchased the right product. The codes for TurboTax Online will not work with TurboTax CD/Download & vice-versa. If you have bought TurboTax Online, please go to turbotax.ca/activate to use your code before you start your returns. 

When you purchase TurboTax Online, all you need to do is sign in to your account (or create a new one) to activate your prepayment code. Here’s how to do it:

1. Go to turbotax.ca/activate and you'll see the Welcome to TurboTax screen
  2. Select I have an account to sign in to your Intuit account (this is the same account you’d use for TurboTax Online, Mint, and QuickBooks) or Create an account to create a new account
  3. Sign in to your account with your user ID and password
  4. Once you've signed in to your account, review and activate your purchase by entering your 16-digit activation code and selecting Continue
  5. Selecting Start my taxes will take you to the TurboTax Introduction screen. You're now ready to start your tax return

You can see this TurboTax FAQ for step-by-step instructions: In TurboTax Online, how do I use a prepayment code?

If you have bought TurboTax CD/Download, you will be asked for the licence code when you install the software. Please see this TurboTax FAQ for more information on the licence code: Where is my TurboTax licence code? 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Colin168

on line activation code

I have purchased "Self-Employed Online Edition" from COSTCO (Canada, Ontario), and opened the sealed box. I went to turbotax.ca/activate, and logged into my account after changing my password - so I know the account is good.

I was able to click on "I have an account" and was prompted for my activation code, which I entered.  Despite great care in entering the code the code was rejected. Repeated code entry and again was rejected.

Now when I go to turbotax.ca/activate I am sent in an endless loop of "I have an account", enter UserID and Password, and am taken back to "I have an account" "Create a New Account".

Colin

on line activation code

Are you getting an error code?  Please try this link to enter your return: https://ww1.2023.ca.turbotaxonline.intuit.com/signin?

Colin168

on line activation code

Only error code is the entirely unhelpful "Something went wrong, try again".

Thank you for the link, but when I follow it I am taken only to a page where I can enter my data, but  pay for the product again when I file.

I want to activate what I have already bought.

Colin

on line activation code

Please go to turbotax.ca and click on the top right Sign In then choose Continue My 2023 Tax Return as seen in the image below.

Vinny614

on line activation code

Colin.  Was your problem ever resolved as I am having the same problem?

Vinny614

on line activation code

okay, I've followed you advice as per your response to Colin, but cannot find the field to enter my activation fee (???)  I have already paid for the program and do not want to pay any other fees for my family returns.    

on line activation code

@Vinny614 Did you use our TurboTax link to reach the 2023 Online return and then use your code in the payment page?

onlyumike

on line activation code

Hi ,

I don't get any error code, but every time when I click "I have an account" then login my account, it jump back to the https://shop.app.intuit.ca/activate?rootProfile=ca&locale=en-ca again. 

I cannot leave that loop. And my computer is a Macbook without a cd room. 

Shall I return the CD/Download box to the store?

Thanks