Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dave-ings

TT Canada 2017 Hangs on Startup

On a fresh install of Windows 10 with all updates applied, on VMWare Fusion 10.0.1, TT 2017 hangs about 3/4 of the time on launch. It appears to hang when trying to connect to either the update or the registration server. It hangs with CPU pegged at 100%.

I found a simple workaround. Launch TT with a filename (i.e. tax file) and it launches successfully every time. I have TT pinned to the Windows Taskbar, so I can right click on the TT taskbar icon, and a list of previously opened tax files will appear. Select one to launch TT successfully.

While this is a bad bug, at least the workaround is easy and reliable (if you've managed to launch it once).

4 Replies

dave-ings

Thanks for the reply, but I don't need any additional help as I've identified a workaround that works for me. However if *you* want help investigating this product defect, feel free to contact me.
HelpME2020
Returning Member

This work around worked for me a few weeks ago when I needed to view my 2017 returns. Now I can't get TurboTax 2017 to do anything but hang when trying to connect to the TurboTax server. It doesn't matter if I use the .exe file from within the Programs directory or use the menu option created when I first installed the product. My system is a Windows 8.1 laptop with a cable connection. Is it time to call it quits and re-install 2017?

Would it be possible to launch 2017 from within the 2019 version?

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

If you are having issues with downloads or older versions, you can contact us at:

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/product-information/help/contact-us/00/873707