Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greg_norkett
Returning Member

Transferring software to another computer

Hi,

I would like to transfer my TurboTax software to another computer.

I installed the software on an external drive on a older laptop. I recently upgraded my laptop but when I went to re-install TurboTax, I received a message that I've reached my installation limit. (I also installed the software on my mother's laptop but her income was less than $20K which shouldn't count towards the limit) 

Please inform on how to install the software on my new computer using my external hard drive.

Greg

10 Replies
antho11

I have installed Turbotax2021 on three computers (2 at home and 1 at work). I want to decommission one of the old laptop and would like to install the Software on a new Laptop but the system tells me that I have reached my limit.  Any suggestion?
Thanks for helping.

Antho

The limit of installs is set to three. You will need to uninstall the program on the old laptop to be able to reinstall it on your new laptop.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

sandy68

Hi, I have Turbotax installed on 3 computers.  In order to move it from one computer to a newer one, I have uninstalled it from the old computer.  In the installation on the new computer, it still issues the error that all available activations have been used.  

Any suggestions appreciated.

iamtoni22

I copied Turbo Tax Business Incorporated software and the draft T2 return to a new laptop but it asked me to enter my license code. When I did, i received an error "All available activations for that code have been used.Error code: 603"

Please help.

@iamtoni22 If you need assistance with TurboTax Business Incorporated or preparing your incorporated business tax return (T2), you can contact the dedicated support team using the chat here: https://public-consumer-chat.app.intuit.com/app/ccs/consumer?experienceId=ttbInc. Agents are available 9:00 am to 6:00 pm EST, Monday to Friday.

You can also visit the Intuit Profile support site. TurboTax Business Incorporated is based off Profile software.

goofydad
Returning Member

I have the same issue, I uninstalled my turbotax copy from the old computer, and install a new copy on the new computer, still said my licence code does not work, 

Turbotax tech support, please provide a solution for this issue for your customers ASAP. you know this will happen with computer change.

goofydad
Returning Member

Dear Turbotax admin

can you clarify is the Turbotax licence we bought for 3 "computers"  or only 3 "installation",  This is important for customer because we want to use Turbotax on a new computer , can we uninstall the software from an old computer (hence reduce the "computer counts" to 2, and install a fresh copy of Turbotax using the purchased licence on a 3rd computer?   If the licence only allows 3 installations events, then if any of my old computer died, I will not be able to use the software to look up previous year tax preparation.  

please clarify!  see below for your own message .. "3 computers" not "3 installation count"

You are correct, as indicated in the note of our Microsoft Windows System Requirements "TurboTax may be installed on three computers".  In Canada our software is different from the US.

2 weeks ago

Yes, it can only be installed on 3 computers and yes you should be able to uninstall it on one computer to install it on another. Unfortunately, we cannot help you with your license code as it seems you may have purchased your software in a retail store and we do not have it on file.

goofydad
Returning Member

I purchased my turbotax from turbotax site, all these years under another email account, 

if you let me know the actual steps to transfer between computer ensure the licence code work. ie do I have to uninstall from old computer and do a fresh install on the new computer , ie total still only 3 computers has the Turbotax software.  if it does not work, can I email you separately with my licence code to investigate?