Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TurboxTax 2020 - Hangs After Install

Glad to hear and you are very welcome. 

Thank you for your patience and for using TurboTax.

It appears that the problem have not been fixed.  You just rolled the software back to a previous version and now the forms are not up to date and I can no longer open my tax returns that are in progress because the software is an older version.  The message below is what I received from Support, I followed the instructions and the had to call technical support again who explained that the problem has not bee resolved but hopefully this Friday, so try again on Saturday.  

Thank you for contacting TurboTax Support.

The update issue had been resolved now, please uninstall and reinstall TurboTax from the link given below.
https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/product-information/help/where-can-i-download-the-cd-...
We apologize for any inconvenience caused.
I would like to make sure this has been completely resolved for you. Should you need to contact us again about this situation, you may use case number XXX as the Support ID.  

Well patience seems to be rewarded. I today launched TT and was prompted that there was an update, which I accepted with fingers crossed. Once update was done and TT relaunched the Splash screen disappeared which didn't happen before. I was then presented with the white screen to enter my keycode, this never happened before. Since I had deinstalled the product and reinstalled it doesn't surprise me that I had to reenter it. Once that was done and I completed the registration again the screen disappeared. I waited in anticipation for about a minute then figured I would try solutions others were told to do. I reduced the screen resolution to the minimum (800 X 600) then restored it. At this point the normal TT screen launched, I am not sure if this fixed it or it was still launching in the background and was just my impatience. At that point I closed TT and relaunched it successfully. So for me at least it works, so hopefully the update in the last week fixed it. I have to say these issues have occurred in previous years, not last year. And if you wait until we get closer to the end of Feb there is an update which ends up fixing it. However, I am disappointed with TT as this is wide spread and should have been something found in there unit/system testing before releasing the version available before updates.

Well, I was too optimistic. After some MS updates and restarts, I tried to launch TT again. Same issue. Splash screen only.  It seems that it must be waiting on something to finish. Once it launched and then closing TT and launching again it just sits there with splash screen and nothing on the task bar but in Task Mgr it shows it running but with no pgm name. Running as Admin didnt help either

I did get the latest update, and while Turbotax did seem to take a bit longer to startup, it eventually did startup for me.

You could try killing the process "Intuit Update Service", that worked for me when I had trouble with US Turbotax after the last Canadian Turbotax update issue.  I have to file taxes in both countries so I buy both programs.

That finishes properly and quickly. No updates. Splash screen just sits there

Update. So a couple of MS updates were presented, .NET and Windows Cumulative Update. Installed these then after reboots I decided to try TT again. I launched it, it checked for updates and found none got splash screen. So left it for a bit and when I came back maybe 20 mins I got the normal screen, yippie. So I am not sure if the MS updates fixed an issue that it was getting stuck on or its a timing issue. I am  leaning to a timing issue. I think it checks for updates and waits for that to finish. If it misses it due to timing or some semaphore issue it never sees the update finish and if there isn't one then it never restarts after the update. Trying to restart TT wont work as it always checks for updates, not sure if there is a switch or config item to bypass update check. Anyhow, maybe the moderator or Intuit will see this and prompt thinking on what the problem really is. All I can say is that I will be really upset if once I receive all my receipts and the filing window is open that I wont be able to file cause the program wont start. As I mentioned before there have been problems like this in previous years but this years is unusually bad. 

Well a new update from TT via launching the pgm today. The update completes and then the splash screen reappears and just sits there with no pgm starting up. This is becoming tiresome and makes the pgm unusable. After 10 mins I rebooted and relaunched the pgm.  No update of course but after 20 mins the splash screen is still there and no pgm launch. This is unreliable and am very concerned when I have to do my taxes that it wont be working.

Another update. It appears I have figured out what is causing it.

I did try the change in screen resolution as well as the TTCONFIG.INI file setting all did not correct it. I also tried uninstalling/reinstalling but the same issue persisted. 

It appears that my VPN may be causing it. As when I launch with it on and wait nothing happens. When I disconnect the VPN (still running) while tt20 is hung on splash screen the pgm screen displays. Not sure why this happens as no other pgm has this issue.