Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kingje
Returning Member

Tution

My son has tuition to claim in the amount of $1860.  Without claiming the tuition his is getting tax refund of $2500.  I thought that if they did not require the tuition to bring their taxes to zero or to need the tuition because they owed taxes it could be transferred to the parent.  Turbotax is not letting me transfer his tuition to the parent.

10 Replies

Tution

Yes. But the parent also must have taxes payable, or they can't use the transferred credit.

Here are some FAQs that will help you enter tuition and tuition transfers:

How much of my child’s or spouse’s unused tuition credits can be transferred to me?

How do I claim my tuition fees?

How do I transfer my unused tuition credits to someone else?

kingje
Returning Member

Tution

Hi, I'm not sure that is the case.  My other son's tuition transferred with no issues and there was no tax payable on the parents return when this was completed.

fheff

Tution

I am having the same issue.  My son entered the amount from his T2202 and it is showing that he is able to transfer 0.00 to his parents.

he has student income and is getting a refund of 1200.00, but when he enters hit T2022 he shows getting a refund of 900.00.  Some kind of glitch.  he doesn't owe any money and it can't take away what is owed to him when he enters tuition

Tution

Hello,
I came onto this thread because I wasn’t able to transfer my son’s full $5000 amount over to us.  I have followed the instructions from the link which you have posted in order to reach the page indicating the “maximum amount available to transfer”.   My son does not need the current year’s tuition to help bring his tax liability to $0 as he is already getting a refund.  His tuition amount for the current year is above $5000, so my understanding is that he would be able to transfer that full amount to us and any remaining will be carried for him to use in future years. But Turbotax is showing an amount of $3048.66 not $5000.  I don’t understand how it arrived at that number?

Tution

@fheff What likely happened is that when your son put in his income, TurboTax claimed the Canada Workers Benefit (CWB) (aka the Working Income Tax Benefit) for you. This is a refundable tax credit for people who work, but don’t make very much. However, students are usually not eligible for this credit, so when he added his tuition, then the CWB was removed, lowering his refund. 

@fheff @Ingridients Regarding the tuition transfer amount showing as $0, Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you. They can look at the return with you to see what is going on.

Tution

Thank you @fheff 

I was just on the phone with the phone support team for almost one hour, unfortunately, the agent wasn’t able to help me even after we went through step by step of inputting the correct numbers.  And now, the result is $0 allowed for transfer. 

My son is working full time and did attend school in 2023 (with tuition paid over $6000).  In addition to the full-time earning (T4 issued), he had worked as a seasonal contract (self employed).   He is due to receive refunds for 2023 and so no deductions from the tuition fee is needed for him.  I have filled in all required amounts, including the unused amount from 2022 assessment.  It doesn’t make sense that now the amount allowed for transfer is $0.00.  

fheff

Tution

@Ingridients 

That is the exact same situation as me.  On the phone for 2 hours and same thing.

My son has an income, does not owe any income tax, yet can't can't transfer his tuition to me as it shows that 0.00 is able to be transferred. If I don't enter the T2202 his refund is 1300.00.  When i enter it, his refund is 900.00 and he can't transfer the funds.  It makes no sense. Turbo tax does not feel that its an issue on their end.  I am calling CRA tomorrow as this makes no sense.

Hopefully someone can figure this out. 

Tution

@Ingridients What province is your son in? If you remove the tuition, what happens to his refund?

@fheff What province is your son in?

Tution

My son is in BC and removing the tuition T2202 only reduces his refund by $600.  He is already getting a substantial refund so he does not need his to use his tuition credit.

This isn’t new for me.   I have claimed his tuition credit last year,  and it was fine.