Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business or rental address is missing information

We have a rental property and have done this on Turbotax many times over the years. This year, when we go through it, I get an error about the business or rental address. The address is the SAME as previous years, and it also only gives us the error for ONE of us. The 2nd one has no issues, and everything is exactly the same. 

I tried removing the "I have rental income" on both of us and closing unused forms. But this error does not go away and keeps coming up with "Fix", which shows the below error, even when I have unselected the rental income in the Profile section. 

This error prevents NETFILE and has been frustrating for the last 90 minutes trying to figure out why it is doing this.

Error from Turbotax for only one of us.

Your business or rental address is missing information (i.e. number and street) or it has a character that can't be used. These include an ampersand (&) an asterisk (*), spaces after the entry or a period as a first or last character. All address fields must also begin and end with an alpha or numeric character. As well, your postal code must be valid and match your Province of residence.
7 Replies

Can you please remove the business address completely and then re-enter it. If this still does not fix the issue please call our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 who can view your screen to see what the issue might be.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Thanks but I tried all of that kind of thing. I ended up spending 1.5 hours on the phone and having to send files for support and finally got an answer. However the answer was VERY flaky and there is no way I could have known how to solve it. I’ll put it here in case someone else ever has this issue. Keep in mind, the SAME address for rental property worked for my husband’s but I was blocked with an error. 

Apparently this had nothing to do with the Rental Property Address despite Turbotax taking me there to “fix” my error. Instead it was an empty address in a form T2125 that was generated by Turbotax from a T4A entry. The process of entering a T4A gives no option to enter any addresses. 

I reported back to Turbotax on these issues but have not heard anything. If anyone else experiences an address error, Turbotax may throw you a red herring for where it actually is.

1. The "Fix" button for the error takes me to my RENTAL PROPERTY ADDRESS, which apparently had absolutely nothing to do with the missing address.
  2. The T2125 form was generated by Turbotax by the fact that I had a T4A. The EasyStep gave me NO OPTION to enter an address related to the T4A.
  3. In order to correct this, I had to go to the form itself and manually enter the address.
  4. There is no way I would have known this was the address that was missing given the Turbotax response taking me to the Rental property address and that there was no option for entering an address with the T4A. 

Shari 

Thank you for your feedback and happy to see the issue was bypassed. This will be sent to the appropriate team.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Bryce12

I have the same issue and have tried recommendations provided. Please advise

@Bryce12 Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.

Thanks Shari! it did helped me out when I experienced the same issue! I haven't filed it yet but I just put a temporary address there and it clears the error. I'll enter the right info after I get it from my wife.

Thank you for posting this Shari!

Further info if this happens to someone else:

TurboTax identifies an error with the Rental Address, but there is no problem with the rental address, and it can't be Netfiled until it is corrected.

Save your return. Switch to Forms method under View in the main menu. Click on the Forms icon (next to the easy steps icon). In the keyword search, enter T2125. The results with an asterisk * are ones that you have a form for. Click on each one in sequence, and on each form, look for an address that is either missing or incorrect. Note that the address can not end with a period. In my case, it was a missing self employment business address. Save the return. Go back to Easy steps, and go to the Review section to see if the identified error is fixed. If it isn't, return to the Forms, T2125 list, and look for more addresses to update.

Cheers, Kierstin