Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NA753

CWB applied incorrectly

When I completed our tax returns turbotax applied the Canadian worker benefit to me.  I make less than $15k per year but my spouse makes >$100k.   So we do not qualify for the CWB.  Turbotax is telling me I will get a return that is $2150 higher than what I should get.  This is a glitch that needs to be fixed. 

27 Replies

CWB applied incorrectly

To let TurboTax CD/Download know that you don’t wish to apply for this credit:

1. Click the “Forms” icon in the blue icon bar to switch to Forms Mode.
  2. Click your name at the bottom left of the page so that the square turns yellow. This means that your return is selected.
  3. Click the “Forms” icon and search for “can”, then select “Canada Workers Benefit (Schedule 6)” from the list and click on the “OK” button.
  4. Select “No” next to the question “Are you eligible for the CWB?” (line 38103).
  5. Click the “Save” icon to save.
  6. Click the “EasyStep” icon in the blue icon bar to switch back to the EasyStep interview (if needed).

CWB applied incorrectly

Dear Admin,

Schedule 6 keeps marking NO for my eligible dependent and it won’t let me go in and check YES from the form. It has yes marked the entire time until I actually get to the question where is asks if I want to apply for CWB. I click yes, and the software glitches and changes my eligible dependent to NO and takes away my CWB credit. Please HELP!

Wandau
Returning Member

CWB applied incorrectly

I was having same problem.  Was doing my daughters return and kept taking away refund.   She actually took it to H &R block and got the refund i had figured.  But it looks like with the last update from Turbo Tax it is now working.   

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

CWB applied incorrectly

To complete the CWB claim or remove it, you can directly go to the claim page by searching for "Canada Workers Benefit". You will need to answer  "No" to the claim if you want to remove it. 

I hope this was helpful

Heba

CWB applied incorrectly

The Canada Workers Benefit has Yes and with taxable income of $18,454 there is $0 credit shows on the year over year comparison-why?  

Kerri2

CWB applied incorrectly

I keep claiming the workers benefit CWB (schedule 6) and after I click CONTINUE  it immediately goes to the "Great news! We checked your return for accuracy...."  It's showing $0 for 2020 on year over year comparison.  It is not showing up or giving me the credit. Please help.

mitznewman
Returning Member

CWB applied incorrectly

That particular problem is still in the newest version of Turbotax 2021 tax year.  I have checked previous years and the error was there as well, and still there even when updated.  Could you please correct this error - I use the Easy Step method of inputting our taxes and I cannot find where to correct this without having to go to the forms and doing a manual correction.  Should also mention that I have a disability, so it is saying that I don't have an eligible spouse.

CWB applied incorrectly

I am using the TurboTax software for 2021 and unfortunately I clicked on the CWB benefit when doing my daughters taxes and it reduced her tax refund by $2500 despite them not being eligible.  I have no way to remove this even though I selected No on Schedule 6 line 38102 for both and saved at each step. I makes one or the other to be claiming it even though they do not qualify as their income is too high.  When is this going to be fixed?  Thank you!

CWB applied incorrectly

I just did my daughter's 2022 taxes. She's a 20-year-old university student with high tuition and low income. The Easy Step module asked me if I want to apply for the CWB for her. Since she's an 'adult' with low income, I said YES. The program calculated that she was to get a refund of about $850. Weeks after filing, the CRA sent her a cheque for only $107, claiming that there had been a 'calculation error' in the application of the CWB. I redid her return and nothing changed. I am POSITIVE that any calculation error was not made by me. Now, I'm not a 'tax guy'. I just rely on the program to ask me all the relevant questions and I plug all of the correct numbers into all the right boxes. As I understand it, that's what this software is supposed to be for - non-experts. That TurboTax has failed to fix this issue is unacceptable and I may switch to a more reliable software next year.