Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from a Deluxe 8 package

I plan to buy the deluxe online package for 8 returns. If some of my filings require an upgrade to another level, will I only pay the difference from the $20 Deluxe return rate, or will the system charge me full price?   I assume I have to first enter my Deluxe 8 product code, then do the upgrade?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes, if your returns are upgraded or you add extra services like Audit Defence or Assist & Review, the you will only pay the difference between the price of the upgrade and the price of a Deluxe return.

Before starting your returns, you need to enter your activation code on our website here: https://shop.app.intuit.ca/activate?rootProfile=ca&locale=en-ca

Then you will need to prepare all your returns in the account you used your activation code in.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Yes, if your returns are upgraded or you add extra services like Audit Defence or Assist & Review, the you will only pay the difference between the price of the upgrade and the price of a Deluxe return.

Before starting your returns, you need to enter your activation code on our website here: https://shop.app.intuit.ca/activate?rootProfile=ca&locale=en-ca

Then you will need to prepare all your returns in the account you used your activation code in.

tongko1345
Returning Member

Hi - I bought the Deluxe 8 package ($35 at Costco) and while entering my information a note popped up that I needed to upgrade to Premier due to investment income. The rest of the family has regular returns. My initial thought was that I would be charged a small amount to upgrade to the Premier package. Since the Premier was $75 at Costco I thought that the upgrade would be maybe between $20-$30. I even called customer service who confirmed that there would be a SMALL amount to pay.  I completed my return and entered the activation code for the Deluxe only to find out that the additional charge is $69.99 (two returns) and that the Deluxe that I bought is now considered null and void!!! So basically I paid $35 plus $69.99. 

@tongko1345 You need to enter your activation code before you start your returns. Any returns that you complete before entering your code will be billed at the regular per return rate.

Please use the form on this FAQ to request a refund: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/after-you-file-questions/help/how-do-i-get-a-refund-f...

tongko1345
Returning Member

The prompt to enter the activation code comes at the end, just before the return is filed with CRA. I have used the software for many years and always put the activation code at the end. What can I do now? Can I start a new return? I have already entered the Deluxe activation code. 

@tongko1345 In the payment section it asks for coupon code, not an activation code. The activation code needs to be entered at turbotax.ca/activate. This URL is on the box if you bought it from a retail store, or on the email that is sent if you bought it directly from us.

tongko1345
Returning Member

Yes, I have put in the activation code and I am asked to pay $34.99 x 2 on top of the $35 paid at Costco for the Deluxe. I have been waiting three days for a supervisor of Turbo tax to call to help resolve this. What do you suggest? 

How many returns did you complete? If you purchased TurboTax Online from Costco, you would need to activate your code here at turbotax.ca/activate before you start any returns in order for them to be completed under the software that you purchased. 

It seems as though you may have completed 2 returns using TurboTax Premier which are $34.99 per return- therefore if you did a joint return it would charge your $34.99x2.  (The reason you didn't get charged the difference between Deluxe and Premier is because you never activated your code before completing your returns. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.