Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jonny-49

Transfering Data from previous years

I purchased The Turbo Tax Premier program from London Drugs at a cost of $92.95.  I have used Turbo Tax programs for several years and have always been satisfied.  I downloaded the program and started completing my tax return.  Since I used Turbo Tax to complete my 2021 return, I expected that it would be a simple matter to transfer my information from the 2021 return to the 2022 return.  To access my 2021 return I was told to find the “t21” file in my Turbo Tax Directory, however I never received a “t21” file from Turbo Tax and was only provided with a PDF copy of the return. I then accessed my Turbo Tax account thinking that I could download the “t21” file from my account however I was only able to obtain a PDF version of the return.  I called your Support line to get assistance in obtaining and electronic copy of my return so that I could complete the transfer of information.  I was told by your Support representative that this was not possible and that I would not be able to transfer the information from my 2021 return to my 2022 return.  I was told that had I purchased the program online directly from Turbo Tax using my existing account that I would be able to transfer the information however since I purchased the program from a retailer and downloaded the program that this would not be possible.  I indicated that this was unacceptable, especially since I paid $92.95 for the program and also expected to have full access to my existing 2021 tax returns n order to transfer the information.  I was told that I would receive a telephone call from a senior Support Representative, and I am still waiting for a response.  In the meantime, I received an email from Turbo Tax indicating that my case was closed and would I please complete the survey.

In my view you are holding my 2021 tax return hostage since I am not able to access the electronic file to transfer information to my 2022 return.  Who owns my 2021 tax return file?  In my view I have proprietary ownership of my tax return and you are obligated to provide me with electronic (not PDF) access to my return.

Since I am a long-term customer and just spent $92.95 on your tax program, I am sure you can find a solution to this issue. 

6 Replies
voetsm

I totally agree with you and had contacted their Customer Service department on this same issue to be told it is not possible because I completed the returns online last year and am using the desktop version this year. Frustrating to say the least. 

Unfortunately, you can't transfer from TurboTax Online to TurboTax CD/Download. You can only transfer from CD/Download to Online or from Online to Online or CD/Download to CD/Download. 

We apologize for this inconvenience. 

You can still sign into your TurboTax Online account to view your 2021 tax return. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

voetsm

Our thoughts are we should be able to import from the online to the CD/Download version and vice versa. You would think there programming department could make that possible.

Thank you for your feedback, we value your opinion and will share this information with the proper TurboTax team.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

lmorris30

How do I find my 2021 return so that I can input it into my 2022 return?  

So Frustrated. 

@lmorris30 This TurboTax FAQ has info on how to find your TurboTax Online returns: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/importing-transfering/help/why-can-t-i-find-my-turbot...