Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tuition amount transfer to parent

Unfortunately, the Online software does not offer Forms view like our Download software, although, you can view the T1 General lines by viewing the Detailed Tax Summary as seen in the image below.

As you have already tried all our suggestions, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. When asked if you wish to receive an email say NO then say "speak to a representative" then hold the line. If a resolution is not found, please ask for an escalation to investigate the issue.

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Gratda

I figured it out once I was able to obtain an actual Schedule 11. It appears that if the student receives any RESP grant or interest, interest income, that exceeds $5,000, then no tuition amount is transferrable to a parent and must be carried forward for themselves. It is not a turbotax glitch but rather a calculation. I had to use the free Wealthwise online program to figure it out as the $37 Turbotax Deluxe Online does not give access to individual forms. It is the last time I buy any Turbotax ONLINE product. Not having the ability to see the forms is a major disadvantage. 

dsm1000
Returning Member

...And for this reason, I'm out.

20 plus year user moving on. The fact this issue hasn't been fixed is mind-boggling. I thought I was going crazy. The app also screwed up my mom's return a few years ago, which messed up her benefits. Life's too short to have to double check routine things.

BlairD43

Hi. I did all of these steps except in the “enter amount from line 9” where you enter previous amounts… I entered $5000. Once I did that I was able to enter the proper amount in the “transfer tuition” page 

Thank you for the feedback.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Unfortunately, your support team is not helping at all. I was having the same issue with the Tuition Transfer and your staff was unhelpfuI. I was on the phone for a few hours, I was eventually transferred to a supervisor. While placed on hold to speak with a supervisor, I was hung up on. I had to call back and the support team I spoke to was extremely rude and basically said that it’s CRA issue and not TurboTax. The glitch is with TurboTax not CRA! The review page does show the Tuition Amount that is supposed to be transferred, however it didn’t deduct it off the amount owing. This is a big issue and no one at TurboTax is taking accountability for this and I paid for this services. I used TurboTax for many years, and after this experience I will not use this service again! Now I will need to contact CRA to fix the Transfer Credit, as TurboTax is providing 0 support to their users due to their negligence! As I can see here, many users were having the same issue and provided no support to fix this! I will be excelating this and asking for a refund for the cost of using your service, as your system is obviously not working and TurboTax is not taking accountability for this!

We are sorry to hear that your experience with our phone support team was less than optimal.  

If you have a net federal tax of zero on Line 42000 of the T1 before adding the tuition amount, then adding this amount will not change the amount owing on your tax return.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.