Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tuition amount transfer to parent

Trying with no success to enter $5000 tuition amount (federal and provincial) that is being transferred from my child to me but my return continues to say $0 amount eligible.  I have filled out paper return for both my cild and me and had an accountant review it and it is correct.  Eligible to transfer max of $5000 but Turbo Tax program not allowing it.  How do I solve?  All Dependant credit are inputted correctly.

44 Replies

If your child meets all requirements set out by the CRA, you're eligible to receive tuition transfer amounts on your tax return. However, there are some important differences regarding how, and from whom, you can claim transferred tuition, and the process of claiming these amounts (and the amounts themselves) can vary depending on these differences. Follow the applicable steps below to enter transferred tuition into TurboTax.

How do I enter tuition transferred from my spouse/partner or child?

Please make sure that on Line 9 of Schedule 11 for 2022 of your daughters that it shows $5000, if not then you will not be able to claim the $5000. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Thank you for your reply.   I am using Turbo Tax Online version and get as far as Step 5 "Tranfer my Child's Tuition and Education Amounts, then select Continue" which I do but the next screen that shows is  "Climate Action Incentive".  Then I tried searching for "Tuition Transfer" screen which I get then select a parent to transfer tuition credit to and Continue.  Then I do get the correct "Transfer Tuition and Education (Federal)" screen but it says the $0 is the maximum available to transfer.  I have reviewed the CRA criteria and have done the paper version of the return for my child and it allows for $5,000 to transfer.  This has been confirmed by an accountant.  Makes no sense why the Turbo Tax screen shows $0 available to transfer for both Federal and Provincial.   I would appreciate any help to solve this?

Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.

I have phoned the support team more than once.  Get shared with supervisor but no one has been able to figure it out.  Last answer I got was that my child's income was too high which has no relevance to tuition credits transfer.  I had hoped that someone would take ownership of the issue and figure it out as I believe it is a website issue, many others have posted this issue in their comments as well.

We will have an update for you soon. As the team is looking into this and we will update you as soon as the fix has been completed. 

Lost guy

Did you ever get these resolved?

The previous posts you are seeing were corrected last tax season. We have not been advised of any issues this year. 

Hi,

Looks like the issue of the software for this  has not been fixed for this year.   It would not allow the current year’s tuition to be transferred.  After inputting all the correction numbers, it shows that the “maximum amount available to transfer is $0.”  

i have the same issues.  looking forward to hearing the resolution.